_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
RCAF Spitfire
f1matt
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Manitoba, Canada
KitMaker: 1,021 posts
AeroScale: 184 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 04:29 AM UTC
Thought I would post some pics of my Spitfire. This has to be one one the best looking planes of all time. The real thing I mean. I aint that cocky.

She represents a bird from 411 squadron 2nd TAF. I always wanted a Spitfire with "the" stripes. My plan was for a dirty fighter with brand new stripes. I applied the decals. Weathered them. And then applied the stripes by hand. This gives me weathered markings with clean stripes. I think next time I will spray on the stripes and simply touch it up by hand. The stripes turned out a little thick for the scale. Although the Canucks did tend to do a very rough job when applying the distinctive markings.

I assume you can tell which is mine.
The kit is the 1/48 Hasegawa Mk. IXc model. This was converted to an "e" wing mid build. Not a great idea. I created new cannon bulges by shaping the clipped wing tips supplied in the kit. The seat is by Ultracast. The flight controls were repositioned and the guns were drilled out. Oh and the exhausts are also Ultracast. I couldn't find the right paints at my LHS at the time so I mixed my own as best I could. Decals came from the kit as well as Tally Ho and Illiad Design. The name "Polly" as well as the maple leaf roundel were painted by hand. Canadian Spits often had names painted.

Why a natural metal canopy? Well for further variety. Also it came from a previous failed attempt at a natural metal Spit.

Thanks for looking.

Matt
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 6,249 posts
AeroScale: 3,270 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 07:17 AM UTC
Hi Matt.
Great looking Spit!!
I really like the fading effect youve achieved, and its nice to see someone paint the invasion stripes with rough edges.Normally you see them with razor sharp edges which as your reference photo shows often wasnt the case. The order to paint the stripes was only issued the day before D-Day and ground crews werent as exact as us modellers with their demarcation lines.
Really well done.
Nige
csch
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Buenos Aires, Argentina
KitMaker: 1,941 posts
AeroScale: 1,040 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 08:06 AM UTC
Hi Matt:

Your Spitfire looks fantastic. Very nice job, the building is very clean and I find the paint work very well done.

For me the Spitfire is the most beautifull WW2 airplane (I also love the Mossie).

Congratulations. Keep on modelling AC
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,117 posts
AeroScale: 2,270 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 09:59 AM UTC
Looks great. Last week I ordered a 1/32 Spit II. I am rubbing my hands together in anticipation.
f1matt
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Manitoba, Canada
KitMaker: 1,021 posts
AeroScale: 184 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 02:57 PM UTC
Thanks for the kind words guys. This was a very fun kit to build (I have another begging to be built). I'll have to take some pictures of my F4U-2 Corsair and post em.

Matt
 _GOTOTOP