_GOTOBOTTOM
Rotary Wing
Discuss helicopters and other rotary wing aircraft from any era.
1/35 UH-1B/C with Rectangular Rocket Pods
ToughBaron68-Oscar
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Iowa, United States
KitMaker: 4 posts
AeroScale: 3 posts
Posted: Friday, October 05, 2007 - 04:31 AM UTC
I was a Combat Huey Section Leader with the 1st Air Cav in Vietnam, 2/20 ARA. I am trying to find a 1/35 scale UH-1B or UH-1C with rectangular rocket pods on each side (each held 24 rockets).

Any recommendations regarding where I should look in my search?

DogEgg
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 341 posts
AeroScale: 20 posts
Posted: Friday, October 05, 2007 - 05:01 AM UTC
Academy/MRC make the UH 1C with them - I've just bought the "Heavy Hog" but I believe the "Huey Frog" has a greater choice of weaponry. And now I've found out, I'm kicking myself! It was the M6 rig (quad M60s) I wanted which is in the other kit!
If anyone in the UK has spares of these weapons from their Academy kits, I'll pay good money or maybe trade some other weapons bits from mine for them...
Any takers?

Richard
HeavyArty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
AeroScale: 1,728 posts
Posted: Friday, October 05, 2007 - 05:53 AM UTC
Richard is correct on the square multi-rocket pods. They are quite nice as well. The Academy 1/35 UH-1C kits are great.

The kits you want are either #2199, UH-1C Heavy Hog kit...

or #2196, UH-1C Frog kit. Both have the rocket pods you are looking for.

The Good luck.

Quoted Text

It was the M6 rig (quad M60s) I wanted which is in the other kit!

No kit in 1/35 comes with the M6 weapons system. The "Frog" kit comes with a bunch of weapons options (M157, M158, and M200 rocket pods; the big, square multi-rocket pods; Miniguns; and the 40mm nose-mounted grenade launcher; but no M6s). Here is a review of the Frog kit that includes sprue shots to see the weapons options.

For the M6 mount, Cobra Company just recently announced a set though. Check them out here. I scratched one some years ago using M60Cs from the DML LSSC kit and pieces from the weapons mounts in the Academy kits.
DogEgg
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, October 06, 2007 - 04:36 AM UTC
Have just ordered them thanks Gino... Have also ordered the HAL3 seawolves decals from Fireball and the Eduard interior set for the Academy C model...
Getting a bit hooked on Hueys right now!
HeavyArty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
Posted: Saturday, October 06, 2007 - 07:06 AM UTC
Good deal, another helo convert. Check out the rest of the stuff at Cobra Company and Fireball. They have some great products. I love them.
ToughBaron68-Oscar
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Iowa, United States
Posted: Sunday, October 07, 2007 - 01:54 AM UTC
Gino, Richard, et al - Many thanks for your feedback. I had spotted both these kits on line previously. My concern was that if I assemble either kit without the grenade launcher, will there be gaping holes in the nose?

Scotty
HeavyArty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
Posted: Sunday, October 07, 2007 - 02:35 AM UTC

Quoted Text

My concern was that if I assemble either kit without the grenade launcher, will there be gaping holes in the nose?

Nope, the grenade launcher does not require any holes. It glues onto the exterior of the nose. It is an option and doesn't need to be added, just like all the other weapons and external pieces. That is what is so great about the Academy kits. Your options are almost endless.
ToughBaron68-Oscar
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Iowa, United States
Posted: Sunday, October 07, 2007 - 03:10 AM UTC
Thanks, Gino. Any recommendations regarding best web site from which to purchase?

Scotty
HeavyArty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
Posted: Sunday, October 07, 2007 - 03:32 AM UTC
I prefer Great Models. Squadron and Sprue Brothers are good too. Good luck.
DogEgg
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 12:53 AM UTC
I have the Heavy Hog from MRC but want to put quad M60's on as per a seawolves machine - got the Cobra Company weapons arriving soon, but what I need to know is: does the Huey Frog kit have a) the bench seat (sprue shots I've seen suggest it does) b) the underseat ammo cases, and c) the correct universal mount spindles for the quads?
There look to be the same spindles in the Heavy Hog but I need to know if it's worth buying the Frog just for these parts... could turn the rest into a crashed machine I guess, or indeed another unarmed Seawolf...

Richard
HeavyArty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
Posted: Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 01:03 AM UTC
The Frog kit has all the parts you mentioned. The parts are the same as in the Heavy Hog kit. All Academy did was put all the weapons sprues form its previous UH-1C kits into the Frog kit.
DogEgg
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 07:36 AM UTC
OK, have bitten the bullet and ordered the Huey Frog. Once the Cobra company quad 60s, Fireball Seawolves decals and Eduard interior arrive, I'll make a start on it. Until then, I might build Heavy Hog OOB and finish my DML UH-1D (H) whilst I'm at it. Maybe one of them will be ready to take to the Nationals in a month's time (yeah right!)

Richard
 _GOTOTOP