_GOTOBOTTOM
Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
Mirage IIIEA (Converted Italeri)
adamcole
KitMaker: 4 posts
AeroScale: 1 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 06, 2007 - 05:36 PM UTC
Hi All

I'm very new to this site, but I thought you may want to see my M3EA that I just finished a couple of weeks ago. Mirage IIIEA "I-015" of the Fuerza Aerea Argentina. The build is the Italeri 1/48 kit of the M3E with decals of the Argentine markings and numbers with a mix of Aerocalcas Argentinas decals and Condor decals. Some of the standard Mirage "frisks" were used from the kit decal sheet. The other conversion is the addition of the launch rail for the Matra R550 missile on the outer port and starboard station. The rail is a somewhat unique configuration only to the Argentine Mirages. The rail sits with a 45 deg extension from the pylon. Also, the rare twin 1700 litre fuel tanks are fitted to the kit. (specially moulded in resin by Hugo Garcia - thanks Hugo)

This build started as an idea from a piece of a Mirage rudder/tail that I found in on Pebble Island in November 2004. (see pic in the album). After doing some backtracking, the item was from "I-015"
which met its end after a Sea Harrier delivered a Sidewinder from the rear on May 1, 1982. I-015 was a "second batch" aircraft of the Mirages and was a part of Grupo 8 de Caza. At about 1910hours on May 1, Primer Tieniente Carlos Perona was bought down by Sea Harrier XZ452 piloted by 1st Lt. Paul Barton after a high speed cross of the two aircraft. What Perona did not know was that Barton had locked his Sidewinder onto the Mirage at a mile away @ 12,000ft seconds before, then used the Harriers lateral manouverability as the Mirage banked to chase him. While Perona watched the Harrier decoy visually to the side, the missile then hit him in the rear. Perona ejected and landed in the water at Pebble Island, walking ashore.

Very little of I-105 was ever found due to the impact over the ocean, but the tail was a pretty awesome find for me. I'll add the R550s when they are complete and add the photo.

On a personal note, the build was greatly helped by my friend Luis Cereigido (ex. Argentina), a local Texas modeler Hugo Garcia - a true resin expert), and some in transit R550's built by good friend Kerry Brehnstul (a truly imaginative modeler if ever there was). Hope someone likes it.

Adam

SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
AeroScale: 3,788 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 07, 2007 - 06:10 PM UTC
Great build and well researched.

As I understand it you found the piece of the tail yourself?? If this is the case I think your build is extremely unique in a very cool way. I think few of us posseses an actual part of the aircraft we are representing in model form.

Under all circumstances a great build - Thanks for sharing, Adam
Fuji13
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 3 posts
AeroScale: 2 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 15, 2007 - 08:48 AM UTC
WEll Done and a great find - You lucky #@&$*! I would love to see more of the model. Oh and the debris!
 _GOTOTOP