_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Yellow Nose and Tail, I messed up!
SPerk15
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 32 posts
AeroScale: 12 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 10:41 AM UTC
So I'm airbrushing my first plane and the RLM 76 came out beautifully. I started painting yellow on the nose and it looks awful! Its dark and greenish looking. Questions: Should I paint white first and then paint the yellow? On the Top piece I freaked out and while the paint was still relatively wet I freaked out and started rubbing the paint off with a paper towel. How should I prep this to paint again as the paint wasn't completely removed? On the Second part, I left it as is....should I paint white over the dull yellow and then repaint or strip this? I'm leaning strip once I figure out how because I'm afraid I'll start to lose detail if I put a couple coats of white on top of the dull yellow and then a couple coats of yellow over the white. Wordy, I'm sorry but I would love help!
thehannaman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 279 posts
AeroScale: 194 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 11:46 AM UTC
I've put white down prior to spraying yellow with good success. However, the yellow will sometimes look a bit too brassy (bright/bold.) I've recently started using a light gray or RLM 02 as a base and have been happy with the result. With the grey, you get good coverage without needing sunglasses.
drabslab
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
KitMaker: 2,186 posts
AeroScale: 1,587 posts
Posted: Friday, October 12, 2007 - 02:51 AM UTC
I have had very good success removing paint with a tiny bit of "nail polish remover".

Careful, with chemical substances always test on a piece of sprue first before tackling the models. I usually put a piece of sprue in a small bottle and fill this up with the chemical for an hour or so. If the sprue is not harmed then i try on the model itself.

For light colors, it is always better to prime the model with a white or very pale grey primer
calvin2000
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 886 posts
AeroScale: 332 posts
Posted: Friday, October 12, 2007 - 03:36 PM UTC
There are several articles on paint removal on the site using oven cleaner. You can use the google search in the upper right hand corner of the page to search aeroscale for it. Never tried it myself but I guess it works.
Good Luck,
Kelly
Siderius
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 1,747 posts
AeroScale: 1,673 posts
Posted: Friday, October 12, 2007 - 04:40 PM UTC
Hi there. I use a base coat of RLM 79 sand color; then I spray several coats of yellow onto things such as prop tips. It always works for me. Good luck. Russell
SPerk15
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 32 posts
AeroScale: 12 posts
Posted: Friday, October 12, 2007 - 06:33 PM UTC
I decided that I hadn't put on too many coats of yellow turned green over the plastic, so I let that be and sprayed some RLM 76 light blue over the greenish yellow. After that dried nice and Light I resprayed Yellow and it was perfect. Pictures to follow soon Once I find my USB cord or buy a new one. Thanks all!
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,117 posts
AeroScale: 2,270 posts
Posted: Friday, October 19, 2007 - 06:24 AM UTC
Glad to see you on the airplane side. I like to use a gray primer if I am going to do light colors. I remember when one of my sons was doing a Lambroghini about 20 years ago, the plastic was red, and he wanted it white, it came out pink. I think we put about 15 coats of white on it and it was still pink. We stripped it using acetone, primed it and painted it red. Anxious to see pictures of your build.
 _GOTOTOP