F-14 speed brake question
mat
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Limburg, Netherlands
KitMaker: 894 posts
AeroScale: 42 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 21, 2007 - 06:23 AM UTC
Hello,

I am doing some detailing on my F-14 and I have a question on the speed brake. When I put them in the "open" position on my Tamiya kit, I can look straigh through the fuselage. Is this also the case on the real plane? My Squadron book has only 2 unclear pics of this section.

Cheers,

Matthijs
camogirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,045 posts
AeroScale: 622 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 21, 2007 - 06:54 AM UTC
Assuming you mean looking from the top speed brakes through to the bottom yes you should be able to see straight through the fuselage (im sure Tomcat31 will appear and confirm this? If you're really lucky he'll have a good pic of the area aswell)
Tomcat31
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,828 posts
AeroScale: 1,720 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 21, 2007 - 07:19 AM UTC
You know me too well Sam Your right in believing that you can indeed "see" through the fuselage (beaver tail) here an excerpt from the rather excellent Uncovering the Grumman F-14 Tomcat by Daco Productions. I've found this an invaluable resource on the Tomcat and have read it several time since Sam bought me it.

mat
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Limburg, Netherlands
KitMaker: 894 posts
AeroScale: 42 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 21, 2007 - 08:17 AM UTC
these are excellent pics!!!

and now I know I have to rebuild this whole part of my Tamiya kit It does not look at all like the real thing. I am glad the weather is bad here so I have time enough

Thanks a lot!

_GOTOTOP