_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
Techno rigging
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 21, 2007 - 02:45 PM UTC
In recent weeks I have been scouting new filaments for rigging model aircraft and other hobby uses. I wanted to find something that would actually support longer winged, multibay and larger scale wings.

Well I was in a local fishing and outfitter shop and was rumaging around in thir hughe stocks of tackle and leader lines. I came upon a group of filaments and threads labeled Kevlar. I began using it on a Roden Bristol Fighter that I am building and before I get too far into the how it done here is a bit of fun from the parent company "Dupont".

". . .Applications
Threads made of Dupont KEVLAR® and DuPont NOMEX® are two of the most technologically advanced fibers available in the textile industry. Their unusual characteristics have enabled the development of many new products that were not feasible before.

Kevlar is, by weight, stronger than steel. Nomex has superior heat resist characteristics.

Synthetic Thread has years of experience making Kevlar and Nomex threads for many applications including ballistic clothing, fire suits, wire and cable applications and many more. We even supply NASA with a combination stainless steel and Kevlar thread for use in the Space Shuttle. Our technology even allows us to dye these high tech threads.

While both fibers are chemically similar, they are different in some ways. Threads made of Nomex are extremely heat resistant. They will not char at temperatures higher than 675 degrees Farenheit. This makes Nomex extremely desireable in safety garments used in potentially high heat applications.

Although a wide variety of sizes, colors and package put-ups are always in stock, Synthetic's state-of-the-art facilities can meet your most demanding special size, color or package specifications too. Ready wound bobbins are available in a style, color and size to for you needs. Your Synthetic Thread representative will be glad to discuss your specific requirements with you.

Although threads made of Kevlar have slightly less heat resistance than Nomex, Kevlar's strength is superior to almost all other fibers. In fact, Kevlar is five times stronger than steel by weight. It has become the thread choice in those special high stress, volitile applications that require extreme strength and heat protection.

Federal Specifications
Both Kevlar and Nomex are available in filament or spun threads. Synthetic Thread can recommend the proper thread type and size for any end use.

The Synthetic Thread Company is approved by the Federal Government to supply Kevlar under Federal Specifications Mil-T-87128 (Filament) and Mil-T-44100 (Spun). The government has approved Synthetic Thread to provide Nomex under Mil-T-43636 (Filament) and Mil-T-83193 (Spun)."

When The Kevlar strands are exposed to a minor heat source it tightens up. By minor I mean lighting a small diameter section of bass wood and using it as a punk. These thread diameters are very compatable to 1/48 & 1/32.
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Sunday, October 21, 2007 - 03:11 PM UTC
Here are the applications I mean. Note the thicker black doubled RAF wires.

RAGIII
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 604 posts
AeroScale: 600 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 25, 2007 - 01:14 PM UTC
Stephen,
I just asked this question on the Drome but figured I would ask here also. What # Test are you experimenting with and or what diameter? What would you suggest for 1/4 8th and 1/32nd?
RAGIII
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Thursday, October 25, 2007 - 02:21 PM UTC
This thread is about .015 thou
 _GOTOTOP