_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
Dumb butt question??
sgtreef
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 6,043 posts
AeroScale: 80 posts
Posted: Monday, October 22, 2007 - 12:07 AM UTC
Well what in the Hay do these Tamiya paint numbers mean.
XF1 3:1
+
XF 5 3:2

Thanks all.

I guess I think I know but don't make sense.
Only On Planes I think
Tomcat31
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,828 posts
AeroScale: 1,720 posts
Posted: Monday, October 22, 2007 - 12:12 AM UTC
Its paint mixing ratios. In your case mix one part of XF1 to 2 parts XF5 (I think) I have never understood why Tamiya put it like that as its just confusing at times.
sgtreef
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 6,043 posts
AeroScale: 80 posts
Posted: Monday, October 22, 2007 - 12:25 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Its paint mixing ratios. In your case mix one part of XF1 to 2 parts XF5 (I think) I have never understood why Tamiya put it like that as its just confusing at times.

With the way it is I say it is a bunch especially with 3:1 to 2:1

Thanks Allen
AJLaFleche
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 8,074 posts
AeroScale: 328 posts
Posted: Monday, October 22, 2007 - 03:14 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Better yet, why don't they just produce the corect color? Could it be they simply want to sell more paint?
NormSon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 181 posts
AeroScale: 18 posts
Posted: Monday, October 22, 2007 - 03:53 AM UTC
If Tamiya (or any other manufacturer) tried to make every color for every kit, you couldn't afford it. There would be so many different colors, and it would have to be produced in such small quantities, the prices would be out of sight. And you would have to buy that many more bottles of paint so that you had each color!
The ratio system is actually quite common for any kind of color mixing. This is how all automotive paints are mixed, except it's usually done on very accurate scales.
If you are painting only small parts, you can mix the paint using a dropper and count the drops. This can also be done using a toothpick, but it's more difficult to pick up and drop the paint. Inexpensive small plastic mixing cups can be picked up at a grocery store, or dosage cups from a pharmacy. For larger items and larger quantities, you will need to mix in a bottle (an empty thinner bottle works well).
Again, by mixing only the amount of paint that you need, you actually save money rather than having to have a whole bottle of a little-used shade.
Think about it, it makes lots more sense.
AJLaFleche
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 8,074 posts
AeroScale: 328 posts
Posted: Monday, October 22, 2007 - 06:16 AM UTC
Model Master has a huge color palette in its enamel line and nearly as extenssive one in their Acryl line. Plus non-miiltary colors and their PollyScale and Floquil lines add railroad colors, too. Humbrol has a great color matched palette as well. Vallejo has a 220 color line. Their prices are not significantly different from Tamiya's.
 _GOTOTOP