_GOTOBOTTOM
Modern (1975-today)
Discuss the modern aircraft age from 1975 thru today.
Hobby Boss 1/48 A-10A
MESHER
KitMaker: 22 posts
AeroScale: 21 posts
Posted: Monday, October 22, 2007 - 08:21 AM UTC
Just picked up this kit, it is very nice but the instructions suck. Wondering if someone could help me out please with paint colors. Instructions note the cockpit is Aircraft Grey, I know from other sources it should be Dk. Gull Grey. My main concern is the wheel well bays and gear doors and the landing gear colors.

Undercarriage wells - Light Ghost Grey like the bottom of the aircraft or a different grey?

Inside the gear doors - same color as the wells?

Landing gear - white?

Any FS numbers would be much appreciated.
mother
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 3,836 posts
AeroScale: 1,036 posts
Posted: Monday, October 22, 2007 - 10:05 AM UTC
Hello Mike,
Most of the panel areas are painted in a light gray to white, I say most because some of the internal surfaces are painted in Zinc Chromate Yellow. As for the wheel bays, gun bay, ladder area and the engine nacelle areas are painted in a light gray to white. Same goes for the inside of panel doors. The wheel struts are white. I just finished this kit last month. I mixed few drops of white into the light gray to get the color I was after. The boarding ladder was painted in stainless steel.

Light Gray…FS36495
White…FS17875

Zinc Chromate Yellow…Model Master F4851, only if you plan on opening up areas like the hydraulic bays and such.

My A-10
MESHER
Posted: Monday, October 22, 2007 - 11:30 AM UTC
Wow!!...nice job, very nice my friend. I appreciate the build it helps me out with colors so much. I have a couple questions for you if you don't mind, in your build it does not state what paint you used for your exhaust, I know you painted it after assembly, what paint did you use?

Second, looks like you painted the model with the front turbine fans off, how did you paint them?...grey inside and then hand painted the fans?..what color for the fans did you use?
mother
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, October 22, 2007 - 01:51 PM UTC
Thanks Mike,
Feel free to ask away, don’t mind at all. Well as for the exhaust you can paint it two ways, one is the upper surface color of the fuselage and the second a metal color. I choose metal using Model Masters metalizers,
Started with Gunmetal then dry brushed with Titanium and again with Magnesium. I went onto blending vertical lines of Burnt Metal and Burnt Iron. I pretty much played around till I felt it look right.

The intakes were painted the color of the upper surface along with the fan blades. Then “the tricky part” dry brush the fan blades with Model Masters metalizer Magnesium. I had plans on doing a real light gray oil wash to the blades, just never got to it yet. If you do I suggest you gloss coat them so the oil flows evenly and smoothly.

Be sure to keep us posted on you build…

Joe
MESHER
Posted: Monday, October 22, 2007 - 04:04 PM UTC
Thanks again so very much, I really appreciate all your advice and tips. Did you paint the interior of the front wheel well the light grey and apply a wash before you put the two fuselage halves together or did you airbrush the wheel wells after assembly?
mother
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, October 22, 2007 - 04:40 PM UTC
What I did Mike was install the wheel bays first, then painted, washed. I then masked of the areas to paint the fuselage. Here's the trick...

Joe
MESHER
Posted: Tuesday, October 23, 2007 - 03:52 AM UTC
Thanks Joe, I will follow that process. What about the front landing gear bay? There is alot of detail inside under the cockpit but it is very hard to see and get at to paint and wash after the fuselage has been put together. Did you paint and apply a wash first before putting installing part F3?
Danial
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Singapore / 新加坡
KitMaker: 693 posts
AeroScale: 16 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 27, 2007 - 02:52 AM UTC
Hi guys, would like to ask about the kit itself. how is 'EVERYTHING'?
i've heard of fitting problems with the kit.
Please enlighten me before i buy Hobby Boss 1/48 A-10A. Thanks.
mother
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, November 27, 2007 - 05:18 AM UTC
Hey Danial,
I have to say it's a great kit with out any major fit problems. I built the other 1/48th kits out and have to say that this was the best kit. It will need some updating, nothing that can't be handled. Like most aircraft kits it could use a resin cockpit, but I haven't seen any made for this kit and do not know if the other resin sets would fit into the Hobby Boss kit.

Have a look Here

Joe
 _GOTOTOP