_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
Eduard Walfish
Dwaynewilly
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 365 posts
AeroScale: 344 posts
Posted: Monday, October 22, 2007 - 01:28 PM UTC
Well fellow string baggers, I guess it's time to actually contribute. Here is my entry for the Second Annual Early Bird Contest 2007. The kit is the 1/48 scale Eduard Roland C.II or "Walfish" kit number 1116. Per the instructions it was crewed by pilot Lt Seibert and observer Haupt. Pflieger of FA 5b in the fall of 1916 on the Western front. This is a profipack kit so I'll be including as many of the fiddly bits as possible. Please bare with me as this is my first attempt at using these extras so extensively. I will be using only a paint brush with this as well.

JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Monday, October 22, 2007 - 02:45 PM UTC
Looks like a good start! Model On!
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,117 posts
AeroScale: 2,270 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 23, 2007 - 06:08 AM UTC
I have two of Eduards Walfisch kits I am anxious to build. Looks like you are off to a great start there.
Dwaynewilly
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, October 24, 2007 - 03:04 PM UTC
The Walfish has been closed up with the bottom wing, tail plane, fin and rudder attached. There was a bit of filling and sanding on the lower wing attachment but other than that, this Eduard kit is a dream to build. The photo etch has been a challenge and time consuming but not as difficult as I had anticipated. The first coats of paint have been added and will be sanded in preparation for the final coat.

My apologies for the slightly blurred images, my camera was focusing more on the backdrop than the model. Better lighting and a plain background should remedy the problem.
Dwaynewilly
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Saturday, October 27, 2007 - 07:33 PM UTC
Up next is the fuselage with the primary decal placed. It had to be done at this stage as putting it on with the radiators in place would have bee a pain in the neck. Initial weathering has been done as well.

Unto the upper wing and more stuff.
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Sunday, October 28, 2007 - 02:58 PM UTC
Greetings Dwayne;

What is the base colour that you are using for the fuselage and wings? Also there is the black outines around the surface detail? will you tone these down? Just asking.
Dwaynewilly
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Sunday, October 28, 2007 - 03:22 PM UTC
Stephen,
The color is Model Master 35622 "Duck Egg Blue", it's the closest I could get off the shelf. The outlines will be toned down, this is just preliminary work.
Dwayne
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Sunday, October 28, 2007 - 05:11 PM UTC
Cool. Model On!
Dwaynewilly
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Saturday, November 03, 2007 - 06:57 AM UTC
Ladies and Gentlemen, on to the upper wing and with more decals and the first of the rigging. Still quite a bit to go.

Enjoy.
calvin2000
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 886 posts
AeroScale: 332 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 03, 2007 - 11:34 AM UTC
Very nice indeed.
Dwaynewilly
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Saturday, November 10, 2007 - 01:36 PM UTC
Ladies and Gentlemen,
I guess this is the last installment of the Walfish saga. I guess I could tweek it some more here and there but I think I'm satisfied with the results. This is basically an out-of the-box build, nothing more or less. Please keep in mind that this kit is not meant or thought to be a contest winner, rather it has been posted to share with you all my progress as a modeler and to learn from your input. We start with some ground level views:

Onto some overhead and close up views.

Finally, my original purpose in building this kit was as a project for a friend and to depict it in a diorama. I have included some shots of the 95% completed diorama.

First we have some overhead views

Finally we have some ground level views.

Let me finally add that it has been my pleasure to be accepted into this forum, receiving your input and advise as I enjoy and explore this hobby.
Dwayne
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Saturday, November 10, 2007 - 05:08 PM UTC
Interesting diorama. Let me make one comment please Take one of your images and using your image software turn it to a monochromatic even black and white like the original aircraft were photographed. Then note the amount of gloss that is present and compare it to other images of the same type of machine. Gloss in smaller scales can be easily overdone. Semi gloss or dead flat invites the viewer to stop and linger . Their minds will wander from figure to figure trying to find the smaller stories within the diorama.

In any case a cool effort. Model On!
 _GOTOTOP