_GOTOBOTTOM
Pre-Flight Check
Constructive critique of your finished or in-progress photos.
Apache finished-----OUCH!!!!
SS-74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Vatican City
KitMaker: 3,271 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 05, 2003 - 05:38 AM UTC
Well got the Long Bow done, I am not happy with the result, for the following reasons:

1. the major reason is the canopy of the kit doesn't fit...no matter what I tried, they just won't form a proper shape.

2. I performed a black wash, and some of the wash sipped into the clear canopy area, so I had to use future to try to clean up, and still leaves ugly marks....

I am sorry for the poor result, but no worry, I am going to get the Hasegawa Longbow to give it another shot....

I hand painted the nose art/slogan on the fuselage just for the heck of it.

Dmd
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Oost-Vlaanderen, Belgium
KitMaker: 430 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 05, 2003 - 06:30 AM UTC
lovely work dave, looking good buddy !!!

really love your work

greetings

dmd
WeWillHold
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 2,314 posts
AeroScale: 82 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 05, 2003 - 07:12 AM UTC
Dave, My Brother My Friend:

You are being to hard on yourself here. "Run Camels Run" captures that distinctive "lethal" look embodied by the Apache. This model looks just fine (plus its not German (lol)).

Your in process build threads for this helo have been followed by many of us here at Armorama, and its good to see the final results. We know the fine cockpit detail you accomplished here from earlier pics, and basically this Apache looks very very good. Your issue with the black wash doesn't seem overly apparent from these pics- so don't sweat it.

Personally I think you have a pyschological block with this model because its OD, and you just have a hard time accepting that OD is the most SEXY color that can applied to any military vehicle. You know I'm just teasing here Dave.

Seriously, another fine effort from "Da Master of Many Talents", armor, air, ship, and now the helo. Congrats.

Steve aka WeWillHold
cfbush2000
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Dakota, United States
KitMaker: 1,796 posts
AeroScale: 69 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 05, 2003 - 07:54 AM UTC
Nice work Dave.
Like you, I am also very hard on my own work. I'm never satified. But let me say that you have done a fine job. I'm sure you learned a lot on this build, so I can't wait to see the next one.
Chuck
airwarrior
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 2,085 posts
AeroScale: 217 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 05, 2003 - 08:20 AM UTC
since you dont like it..........can i have it?nice job altogether even tho it did screw up.....oh well more of a reason to break out the fireworks!just kidding.Looks good tho.And good job warning those camels
MrRoo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 3,856 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 05, 2003 - 08:53 AM UTC
[quote]Dave, My Brother My Friend:

you just have a hard time accepting that OD is the most SEXY color that can applied to any military vehicle.

Seriously, another fine effort from the "Da Master of Many Talents", armor, air, ship, and now the helo. Congrats.

quote]

I just love it when others say what I wanna say. :-) :-) :-)
looks good even with your surmised faults Dave and I would be happy to put it on my shelf as long as you pay the freight #:-)
keenan
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,272 posts
AeroScale: 74 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 05, 2003 - 09:43 AM UTC
Hell, I love it. "Run Camels Run," too much. Canopies are the primary reason I stick to tanks and figures... You have, however, Inspired me to finally start the monsterous 1/35th scale Blackhawk I have been staring at for almost a year. Thanks, and once again, good job.
SniperSoldier
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Sao Paulo, Brazil
KitMaker: 1,638 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 05, 2003 - 10:51 AM UTC
EXCELLENT WORK
CONGRATULATIONS

ROBERTO
Kencelot
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 4,268 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 05, 2003 - 03:18 PM UTC
Very nice job there Dave!
It'll serve nicely as positive reinforcement for me with mine. Thanks for sharing it.
TOMCAT14
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Warszawa, Poland
KitMaker: 312 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 05, 2003 - 06:22 PM UTC

Very good job Dave , How You find time to end Apache so quickly :-)
Wish mine look so pretty , I have started Academy Ah-64 A with radar modyfication - Hmm ..
Question - Some producers have done versions of Apache with radar ( like Ah-64 D )but not with full electronical upgrade - like bigger electr. compartment on bouth side of fuselage ( cocpit ) - is only first stage of Longbow upgrade( used normally by troops ) or even those version never flown /prototype ?

Regards

Absolute Tomcat , 299% Proof !!!
COMCARAIRWING
PIG#35
RedDevil
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 11 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 05, 2003 - 08:44 PM UTC
Fantastic, that is one mean looking machine. Makes me want to open my Apache up and get working! Got any more choppers waiting in the wings to be built ?
warlock0322
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,036 posts
AeroScale: 286 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 05, 2003 - 11:38 PM UTC
Davidus:
The longbow looks great. I especially love the nose art, but be careful those camels do spit ya know. #:-)
SS-74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Vatican City
KitMaker: 3,271 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 06, 2003 - 03:21 PM UTC
Thanks guys for your gentle and kind comment. I wish the chopped turned out better.

But I did experienced some new technic on this thing (for me at least) I applied an overall thick black oil wash, which really gave the chopper some dirty look, and then drybrushed it, which is first time I really did it. it kind high light the rivets.

Tomcat, I know nothing about Apache. all the reference I got is from aircraftresource center...so Can't help you there. sorry.
badpony
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 67 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 06, 2003 - 03:27 PM UTC
nice chopper! I got to get to building mine up one of these days!
Oberst
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 851 posts
Posted: Monday, April 07, 2003 - 01:15 AM UTC
Nice Apache Dave.
I look forward to the next Apache so we can see how well you applied everything you learned on this build.

Andrew

FAUST
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 8,797 posts
AeroScale: 190 posts
Posted: Monday, April 07, 2003 - 01:18 AM UTC
Great Job on the apache Dave I definitely can`t do it better then you do.

That`s why I stick to vehicles with as less windows as possible :-) :-)

mj
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 1,331 posts
AeroScale: 325 posts
Posted: Monday, April 07, 2003 - 05:15 AM UTC
Beautiful job, Dave. I can't see what you're talking about with the canopy, so I'm betting it's one of those things that only you will worry about, you perfectionist you. Another great job. You're sharing of the process in building your kits is making me a much better modeler. Please keep it up...I need the instruction.

Mike

TwistedFate
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 805 posts
Posted: Monday, April 07, 2003 - 08:12 AM UTC
Dave, the Apache looks good. I see the canopy flaw you are talking about, but it's not bad. I've had worse fits than that. Good job, now where is that Phantom???
Jeepney
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Philippines
KitMaker: 1,538 posts
Posted: Monday, April 07, 2003 - 12:49 PM UTC
Good work Dave! This looks very good! Good to know that you've tried drybrushing for the first time
SOW1
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 289 posts
Posted: Monday, April 07, 2003 - 12:53 PM UTC
Nice work there Dave... I like what you painted on the side! lol
 _GOTOTOP