_GOTOBOTTOM
Modern (1975-today)
Discuss the modern aircraft age from 1975 thru today.
1/48 Mirage III
MESHER
KitMaker: 22 posts
AeroScale: 21 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 24, 2007 - 04:12 AM UTC
Which is better overall the Hobby Boss or Eduard kit?
shonen_red
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Metro Manila, Philippines
KitMaker: 5,762 posts
AeroScale: 543 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 24, 2007 - 04:40 AM UTC
I don't know about the HB offering, but I have the Profipack IIIC. It includes metal weight for the nose, express mask, prepainted PE for the cockpit and several decals and color scheme. Here in my country, the HB kit costs around 1300 Pesos (about 23 USD) IIRC and the Eduard kit is 1700 Pesos (about 27 USD). Your call, but I would recommend the Eduard kit for the goodies.
DonSS3
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 92 posts
AeroScale: 91 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 17, 2007 - 01:25 AM UTC
From what I hear, it's pretty much a tossup between the two. I don't know for sure as I haven't seen the HB kit, but from what I understand reading on some other forums, the HB kit appears to be based on the Eduard kit.

Netz-16A
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 21 posts
AeroScale: 20 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 05, 2007 - 01:23 PM UTC
You have to figure that most Hobby Boss kits are copy's of other manufactures products, so it's not going to be as good as the original.
Curt
CMOT70
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 629 posts
AeroScale: 539 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 05, 2007 - 02:18 PM UTC
Actually i don't think the Hobby Boss kit is really an Eduard copy in any way other than they looked at the Eduard kit and used a similar parts breakdown. But how many truly different ways are there to do a delta wing aircraft parts breakdown?

The surface detailing on the 2 kits is different, the Hobby Boss kit is done the Trumpeter way (a bit overstated in my opinion) whilst the Eduard kit is done their way- finer panel lines/rivets. The Eduard kit decals are better. The Hobby Boss kit is cheaper. Those are the key differences from my observations.

As for other Hobby Boss "copies", well i only have 2 other kits of theirs to compare, both subjects done by Tamiya. Their 1/48 KV1 which is better detailed than the Tamiya version. And the Hobby Boss 1/48 T-34 which convincingly wipes the Tamiya kit from the face of the planet, it is so much superior. Though the HB kit is a copy for sure- it's a 1/48 scale downsize of the Trumpeter 1/16 kit...
 _GOTOTOP