_GOTOBOTTOM
Start Here (for Beginners)
This forum is for younger modelers or people just starting out in the hobby.
Tamiya Putty
MESHER
KitMaker: 22 posts
AeroScale: 21 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 24, 2007 - 09:12 AM UTC
Since this dries so fast and hard to smooth out is there anything that can be mixed with Tamiya Putty to make it more workable and not dry out so fast?
UNITEDSTATESNAVY
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Idaho, United States
KitMaker: 243 posts
AeroScale: 150 posts
Posted: Friday, October 26, 2007 - 04:45 PM UTC
I really do not care for this putty, it is the first one I have tried and I am assuming there are better putties out there. it is not very workable even seconds after it is out of the tube
sneakypete
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Armed Forces Pacific, United States
KitMaker: 149 posts
AeroScale: 49 posts
Posted: Friday, October 26, 2007 - 08:25 PM UTC
I've use some finger nail polish remover mixed in to help it, even thins it a bit. Put a dab of putty and the remover on a mixing tray and give it a whip then spread where needed. I hope this helps.
-Dan
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
KitMaker: 5,609 posts
AeroScale: 5,231 posts
Posted: Friday, October 26, 2007 - 08:41 PM UTC
Hi Michael

Well, I like Tamiya putty .. especially as it dries so fast and smooth and shrinks only marginal. If you thin it, it will shrink more. In case I need to thin it, I use Mr.Thinner 110 (as for Mr. Surfacer 500) .. works well

best wishes

Steffen
CMOT70
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 629 posts
AeroScale: 539 posts
Posted: Friday, October 26, 2007 - 08:50 PM UTC
Tamiya do actually make more than one type of putty as well. I've only used the one they call "Tamiya Basic Putty". I think the other is an epoxy putty.

Anyway i really like the Tamiya Basic Putty for the reasons some people don't like it. It sets fast and hard. And it sands really smoothly and easily. I use it to build up spots where i have a step or for filling large gaps.

Depending on the application though, i also use superglue (Loctite 401) with accelerator. And i use typing correction fluid for filling shallow scratches or ejector marks. You notice one thing about all my options is that they are all fast...as i don't like delays and i'm a naturally lazy modeller.

It's a subject where everyone will develope their preference really. The trick is to try lots of options until you find the stuff that works for you.

Andrew
jafo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 90 posts
AeroScale: 6 posts
Posted: Friday, November 23, 2007 - 10:37 AM UTC
Tamiya makes basic putty(grey) and light curing putty(cures when a UV light is put on it for quick hardening=more working time) and they now have a basic White putty(same as grey i believe) you might try Aves Putty. lots of working time, no shrinkage and while it hardens rocklike it is still sandable.
Removed by original poster on 12/07/07 - 09:40:55 (GMT).
JWViguers
KitMaker: 7 posts
AeroScale: 6 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 06, 2007 - 02:40 PM UTC
I use acetone (nail polish remover) to soften it.
 _GOTOTOP