_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft: Tips & Techniques
Discussions on specific A/C building techniques.
Decal kit from Hobby Lobby
sgtreef
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 6,043 posts
AeroScale: 80 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 24, 2007 - 11:29 PM UTC
Hi all anybody try this stuff?

Was thinking of trying it for canopy lines so would not have to paint them.

Wonder how Aluminum comes out on a ink jet printer.

here is what I am talking about.

http://www.craftsetc.com/store/item.aspx?ItemId=67452&dep=25&cat=32&subcat=40&Search=Y
junior73
_VISITCOMMUNITY
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 20 posts
AeroScale: 2 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 25, 2007 - 12:32 AM UTC
I used one a long time ago. The software that it comes with isn't the greatest, and the paper is no better than the full sheets you can get from micro-mark. The best part of this kit is the fixative, but any good clear will work.

Any mettalic might not come out of an inkjet right. When I get home tonight I'll post up a couple pics of some decals that I made using this paper.

CMOT70
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 629 posts
AeroScale: 539 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 25, 2007 - 04:11 AM UTC
Like Keith said above, i doubt if most printers could reproduce metallic colour very well. But i haven't tried it.

I know that some people have used decal film and painted it before clear coating. They then slice it up and do canopy frames that way. I tried it once and will never do so again! It was more trouble and work for me than just masking and spraying the old fashioned way.

I have used the stuff made by Bare-Metal (Experts Choice Decal Film) to great effect for custom decals. And have also used it to replace damaged sections of kit decals...which is why i usually scan my kit decals right before building a kit- just incase of mishap. The average ink-jet printer that most of us have these days can do detail that rivals most of the decal suppliers themselves.
sgtreef
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 6,043 posts
AeroScale: 80 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 25, 2007 - 11:53 AM UTC
Thanks.
Taken into consideration and thanks for replies.

Went and bought it only $6.00 with 40% coupon will spray then seal no printing involved.
 _GOTOTOP