_GOTOBOTTOM
Rotary Wing
Discuss helicopters and other rotary wing aircraft from any era.
WIP 1/35th Pave Hawk
mother
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 3,836 posts
AeroScale: 1,036 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 30, 2007 - 10:01 AM UTC
It’s been awhile since I posted a helicopter build, so here is one of a few I have going on. It’s Academy’s 1/35th Pave Hawk. Though the cockpit is done it’s still in its early stages. Gages, dials, knobs and screens were painted using toothpicks. (Tip) when painting these items its using toothpicks be sure to wipe the toothpick off each time, this will leave a clean sharp markings as the paint builds up and dries fast. I still have some work to do in the cargo bay area along the ceiling, walls and floor.

Joe
grubbyfingers
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 404 posts
AeroScale: 339 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 30, 2007 - 10:59 AM UTC
Hello, Mother.

It's a vary naice!

What are the green sprayed areas for? Edges of openings?

Thanks for the tip with the toothpicks. I must try it. Is the panel straight out of the kit or a resin jobby? It has a nice cosy feel.

What style of brush are you using for your drybrushing? I always seem to get brushmarks no matter how much paint I take off the brush before I start.

I have the DAP sitting in the cupboard and I'll be building it as the bird from Avalon 2007. That kit has all the correct bits for an Aussie S-70A : Large pylons, LR tanks, square horiz stab etc.

Graeme.
HeavyArty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
AeroScale: 1,728 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 30, 2007 - 12:32 PM UTC
Looking great Joe. You are a building machine. I too have started a new helo. I'll post something on it soon.
USArmy2534
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 2,716 posts
AeroScale: 246 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 30, 2007 - 12:53 PM UTC
Great job Joe. Your cockpit is looking mighty fine. Been awhile since spoke to you, so I hope you are doing well. I'll be sure to keep an eye on this.

Jeff
mother
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, October 30, 2007 - 01:58 PM UTC
Thanks Guys,
Graeme...The green is an experimental paint. I wanted to make a gloss helo drab. Though this bird will be gray I just wanted to test and see; besides I also used it as a pre-shade. No aftermarket parts just straight out of box. For dry brushing I use a short tight bristle brush. Looking forward to seeing your Aussie S-70A

Gino…yeah I’ve been pretty busy these days with armor, aircraft and a few conversions and that’s not including the Stryker’s w/ slat armor. What are you working on; I also have a Cobra and Chinook going on.

Jeff…yeah it’s been awhile, doing well thank you... how about you, any new hummers.

Happy Modeling,
Joe
HeavyArty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
Posted: Tuesday, October 30, 2007 - 02:46 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Gino…What are you working on...

O.K, I'll let the cat out of the bag. I just started a UH-1H in Hi-Vis pattern. It will be a SAR bird out of White Sands Missile Range. I flew on this bird when I was there in AUG-SEP and thought it looked great. I am using the Cobra Company interior upgrade on the Panda kit. I am also using parts out of the Fireball Modelworks Aircraft Survivability Equipment (ASE) Update set as well.

It will look something like these when done:

I'll post some pics as it comes along.

mother
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, October 30, 2007 - 04:48 PM UTC
It's going to look great Gino, can't wait to see it. Did you happen to get your own reference photos while there.

Joe
HeavyArty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
Posted: Wednesday, October 31, 2007 - 04:17 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Did you happen to get your own reference photos while there.

Unfortunately, no. We were doing a real-world SAR and I didn't think about it at the time. I have found all the info I need on the web though. So I am set on references. I'll keep you posted.
USArmy2534
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 2,716 posts
AeroScale: 246 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 31, 2007 - 08:02 AM UTC
Doing fine Joe. Nope, no new humvees: senior year + senior projects = no new modelling for a while. But they can't stop me from scheming and I've got a lot of the great things you've sent me in the line-up to add to my uparmored.

I like the gloss helo green, how'd you do it, simple mix of helo drab and gloss?

Jeff
cfbush2000
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Dakota, United States
KitMaker: 1,796 posts
AeroScale: 69 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 31, 2007 - 08:07 AM UTC
Hi Joe,
Your helicopters just keep getting better. The interior is just incredable. I'll enjoy watching this build.
Chuck
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
AeroScale: 3,788 posts
Posted: Monday, November 05, 2007 - 09:43 PM UTC
Looks great, Joe. Very nice interior/cockpit. I will probably try your toothpick trick next time I do a cockpit.

Thanks for sharing - looking forward to see more.
Trigger
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 15 posts
AeroScale: 14 posts
Posted: Friday, November 16, 2007 - 08:31 AM UTC
Very nice looking Pave Hawk Joe. Thanks for the tip about the toothpix. Which radome configuration will you use and what unit markings are you planning on finishing it in?
KeroJP8
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Seine-et-Marne, France
KitMaker: 439 posts
AeroScale: 69 posts
Posted: Friday, November 16, 2007 - 08:47 PM UTC
Hi mother,

Stunning build !

Looks great so far !

A friend of mine is building the same helo just follow the link

I know he understands english...

Best regards,

Richard
stedler
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 3 posts
AeroScale: 1 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 20, 2008 - 01:09 PM UTC
I'm actually considering building the same model.

We have the 920th Rescue Squadron, here at Patrick AFB in Florida. I want to build a helo like the ones they fly. The Academy MH-60G is similar in a lot of details but there are some differences. The main being the mini-gun implacements. The Academy model has the guns mounted on the inside of the aircraft, the rescue squadrons aircraft have them mounted on the outside of the Aircraft as seen in the photo in the link below. (couldn't figure out how to put the picture into the post.)

Mini-gun

Here's some reference photos to help with your build. It's the same site that the above photo is from.

Hope your build goes ok,

Stedler
Kenaicop
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Nevada, United States
KitMaker: 1,426 posts
AeroScale: 18 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 09:02 PM UTC
Joe,

Great job on the cockpit. What did you use to make the buckles holding the straps on the reserve tanks in the cabin?

Can't wait to see the finished bird.

Jim Johnson
Soldotna, Alaska.
 _GOTOTOP