_GOTOBOTTOM
Modern (1975-today)
Discuss the modern aircraft age from 1975 thru today.
Moldovan MiG-29 UB
madwolf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 258 posts
AeroScale: 66 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 06, 2007 - 08:04 AM UTC
I've started building this aircraft a while back as part of a big diorama project (a section of a cold war/soviet style airfield with weathered MiG-29 UB and a MiG-29 Fulcrum 'C' next to it, + ground/maintenance crew). I am a very slow builder (also a beginner as this is my second aircraft build), so don't expect updates too often. BTW, I am building this aircraft also as part of Mark's modern aircraft campaign.

So about the project:

You can see some preliminary build notes as well as background information on the aircraft on my website here. Here is a picture of the subject from my website:

You can see the other mig in the background.

The kit itself is the aged Academy 1/48 german MiG-29 UB. I am also using an old eduard photoetch kit, an FM Models interior kit (with which I had many fitment issues). Thread about it here. It ended up looking not bad at all:

I have to say that the cockpit took a lot of work. I got discouraged a few times and neglected the project for longer periods of time. I lost my first canopy, I bought another kit, then damaged the canopy with superglue (see photoetch inside it?) and then had to sand/polish it and try again. Finally, I decided to glue it together last weekend since I completely got tired of it.

When I thought the cockpit fitment was bad... the kit fitment is even worse. There will be lots of sanding and puttying on this one! I will have to rescribe a lot of lines as well because of all the sanding.

Here are some pictures of the FM models resin cans:

Also, the engine cowls will be another challenge. I don't want to have engine covers as this aircraft didn't seem to have them, so needless to say, sanding inside these things will be a challenge as well:

The cowls are a terrible fit on the underside.... lots of work to be done there as well.

Well that's about it for now. More later!
RoelGeutjens
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Belgium
KitMaker: 410 posts
AeroScale: 7 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 07, 2007 - 07:40 AM UTC
Hey Madwolf

Great start on that MiG. I will follow this thread closely! The cockpit looks great you might have some more detailed pics? Keep us update!

Cheers Roel
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
AeroScale: 3,788 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 07, 2007 - 08:57 PM UTC
Looks good so far. Very interesting markings for this aircraft.

Looking forward to see more
jphillips
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,066 posts
AeroScale: 214 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 08, 2007 - 01:14 AM UTC
Looks very good. I've got two Academy MiG-29s hanging from my ceiling-one in East German markings, and the other a Turkmenistani. I think Linden Hill's decal sets are fantastic. And I love the MiG-29 so much, I may even do another, someday.
I read somewhere that after the U.S. bought Modova's MiG-29s one of the Moldovan pilots stood watching as the workmen crated the planes up, and wept. He knew his people would never have such jets again.
madwolf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 258 posts
AeroScale: 66 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 08, 2007 - 02:57 AM UTC
J,
the story is actually about this UB MiG, since it was last to be loaded and it was flown the most. I've read it somewhere too.

To my surprise, I found out from a friend that Moldova still has 3 of them left (although they will probably never fly again), and apparently they are in running condition and they have a nice (new from the one in 1998) paint scheme as well.

Picture from airshow this year (thanks to a friend):

I'd like to do one of these as well, but unfortunately I was able to get a hold of only one Fulcrum 'C' conversion kit.

Here is the other one I will be doing.

As for other cockpit pictures, unfortunately I lost my camera during the build and I didn't take that many pictures. I'll have to try to take some through the canopy...
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
AeroScale: 3,788 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 08, 2007 - 07:25 PM UTC
Interesting stories about these aircraft. I am looking forward to see the finished model.

Thanks for sharing
 _GOTOTOP