_GOTOBOTTOM
Rotary Wing
Discuss helicopters and other rotary wing aircraft from any era.
Updated 11/11/07 WIP: UH-1H WSMR SAR Huey
HeavyArty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
AeroScale: 1,728 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 06, 2007 - 03:33 PM UTC
Here is my latest build. I am working on a UH-1H SAR from White Sands Missile Range (WSMR), NM. It is in the Hi-Vis / Arctic scheme. I recently flew on this bird and thought it was pretty cool. Here are a couple pics of the actual helo.

I am using the Panda (pre-Dragon rebox and PE) UH-1D/H in 1/35. I have added the Cobra Company UH-1N center and upper consoles, intercom/radio control boxes on the ceiling, interior light unit, and B pillar supports. The instrument panel is from the 1/32 Revell UH-1D/H; it fits great once the angled base is removed. The pilot seats are from the kit with the side armor panels removed. The Flight Engineer seats are from Academy's UH-1C kits. The troop seats are a combo of the widened kit gunner seats, Revell 1/32 supports, thinned down kit seat upper backs, and a scratch built bench. I also replaced the gunners' seat legs and added cross supports. The seat belts are made from lead foil and wire for the buckles. I also scratched the inner door panels.

Also, I will be adding parts from the Fireball Modelworks UH-1H/V Aircraft Survivability Equipment (ASE) Update. From it I will be using the APR-39 antenna bulges and particle separator. The ASE set is also 1/32, but the particle separator was actually too small to accept the Panda cowling. I had to sand down the cowling quite a bit to make it fit. Lastly, I modified a pair of side steps from the Monogram 1/32 Puma to fit it as well.

More to come as the build progresses.
grubbyfingers
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 404 posts
AeroScale: 339 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 06, 2007 - 04:28 PM UTC
Hi Gino,

Looking good, Mate, nice and busy.

You flew on this bird? Outstanding! That sort of info lends a real credibility and interest to the model. We don't get many of these flying around here. The RAAF has just retired their last ones with the NH90 coming on stream. I did see a 412 fly over yesterday, but that's my first Huey in 6 months, since Avalon.

How many hours to get it to this stage? I don't normally count the hours spent on a model, but I have this time. I have put 56 hours in so far! Much more than I would have expected.

Here is where I am at. I am waiting now for decals so I can finish it off. Your level of detail puts me to shame!

Graeme.

Avus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Roma, Italy
KitMaker: 302 posts
AeroScale: 112 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 06, 2007 - 07:34 PM UTC
Great work so far ... both of you!
HeavyArty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
Posted: Wednesday, November 07, 2007 - 02:05 AM UTC
Thanks guys. Yours is looking great too Graeme. I haven't kept track of hours on this one, I never really do. I have been working on it for about a week on and off though.
This post was removed.
Removed by original poster on 11/09/07 - 01:08:34 (GMT).
f1matt
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Manitoba, Canada
KitMaker: 1,021 posts
AeroScale: 184 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 07, 2007 - 05:56 AM UTC
I think this will be your best yet Gino. The interior is great.

Graeme. Nobody will miss your chopper either. That yellow really pops.
mother
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 3,836 posts
AeroScale: 1,036 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 07, 2007 - 06:58 AM UTC
Looks good Gino...great job with the interior, love the instrument panel. Can't wait to see the exterior colors.

Joe
HeavyArty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
Posted: Wednesday, November 07, 2007 - 09:04 AM UTC
Thanks guys. For the instrument panel, I used the Panda decal for it and cut out each instrument face as a separate decal. I then applied the separate decals to each instrument after painting. A dab of clear gloss for the glass on each and they are done.
This post was removed.
Removed by original poster on 11/09/07 - 01:11:15 (GMT).
This post was removed.
Removed by original poster on 11/09/07 - 01:13:27 (GMT).
HeavyArty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
Posted: Sunday, November 11, 2007 - 10:21 AM UTC
She is done. Here are a few more of the final build pics first. I used wire cutters and supports from the Academy UH-60 kits. A pitot tube and tail rotor (with 1/8 inch cut off each blade) from the 1/32 Revell Huey, and a towel bar antenna left over from a 1/35 Seminar UH-1B kit. The grab handles and cage-thingys at the top edges of the canopy are made from thin wire. I also lightly sanded the entire fuselage to knock down the size of the rivets a bit too. Here it is ready for paint.

And with initial paint on it.

I made the decals using inkjet computer decal paper. I also used some decals off the Fireball Modelworks UH-1D/H sheet. I made markings for UH-1H 74-22367. It is the one below with 367 and the WSMR Army Air Division logo on the nose.

Here is my rendition of it.

More pics here.

Hope you like it. All comments are welcome as always.

grubbyfingers
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Sunday, November 11, 2007 - 05:47 PM UTC
Hi Gino... That was quick!
The colour scheme looks great. Did you have any trouble with the decals? What did you seal/topcoat them with? Whenever I have tried inkjet decals either the topcoat has destroyed them, or, if the topcoat has worked, the water then attacks the ink...

My build has stalled at the moment. I am expecting decals today. Brunel Hobbies here is running them out on their Alps machine for me.
In the meantime, I've been doing some two-dimensional modelling. This is for a local modelling mag...

This is about 80% complete. Still have to do the rotor heads and details.

Graeme.
HeavyArty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
Posted: Monday, November 12, 2007 - 02:16 AM UTC
Thanks Greame. I have great success making my own decals. To seal them, I use acrylic clear spray, Krylon here in the states. It works every time without issues.
MARPAT
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Northern Territory, Australia
KitMaker: 206 posts
AeroScale: 37 posts
Posted: Monday, November 12, 2007 - 05:43 AM UTC
Nice, that was really quick. Looks good.
grubbyfingers
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Monday, November 12, 2007 - 11:57 AM UTC
Hey, Gino,

A week!! Mine's taken a month and it is the quickest build I've ever done! And I'm not finished. And it's got half the detail of yours.

I got the decals last night and they are going on now. I'll post some pics tonight.

Joe, thanks for the floor-wax guide too. I'll try it. I've always had trouble weathering over gloss paint, particularly any kind of wash. Maybe this will work better.

It's going in a comp this weekend so I'll let you know how it goes.

Graeme.
Erik67
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Buskerud, Norway
KitMaker: 1,871 posts
AeroScale: 58 posts
Posted: Monday, November 12, 2007 - 12:47 PM UTC
Looks great. Gino, One question: Is this bird used to search for "lost" missiles or what?

Erik
HeavyArty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
Posted: Monday, November 12, 2007 - 02:06 PM UTC
Thanks guys. Glad you like it.

Quoted Text

One question: Is this bird used to search for "lost" missiles or what?

Erik, it is used to track missiles, aerial testing, local SAR, and also for patrolling with the Border Patrol. They are pretty versatile down there.

Graeme, it took me a little longer. I had been working on it for a few days before the original post; took about 2 weeks total. Good luck on yours and at the competition.
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
AeroScale: 3,788 posts
Posted: Monday, November 12, 2007 - 10:49 PM UTC
Great job, Gino. Very attarctive markings and scheme. You can be proud of this one.

Thanks for sharing
grubbyfingers
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Sunday, November 18, 2007 - 10:10 PM UTC
Hi Gino,

I placed second in Large Scale Aircraft - Enhanced!

Graeme.
HeavyArty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
Posted: Monday, November 19, 2007 - 12:08 PM UTC
Congrats Graeme. Good job.
 _GOTOTOP