_GOTOBOTTOM
Pre-Flight Check
Constructive critique of your finished or in-progress photos.
Spitfire Mk I, in progress.
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Monday, April 07, 2003 - 07:35 AM UTC
:-) This is my 1/48 Tamiya Spitfire Mk I that I am building for the Spitfire group build. This build was started to help Roger (Favorisio) to build his first aircraft model. The build started on the 5th March (when else, as it was the aniversary of this great planes first flight, in 1936, and my moms birthday :-) ) The group build has been a great success, so far, with lots of discussions and a couple of misshaps. Take a look Spitfire Group Build
Only 2 seams required filler, this one and the one at the wing/nose join:

Can't be seen in these pics but I managed to break the rear fixed portion of the canopy, it's attached with Micro crystel clear and will be sorted later.

Hopefully it will be at least something like this, built quite some time ago.

Remember, you can't have to many Spitfires :-)
Mal
airwarrior
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 2,085 posts
AeroScale: 217 posts
Posted: Monday, April 07, 2003 - 07:44 AM UTC
looks good to me....Your right there is no such thing as to many spitfires.You just keep churning these things out,how hard are you working those fluvians?well however hard you are,it's not hard enough!keep em coming Mal!
TOMCAT14
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Warszawa, Poland
KitMaker: 312 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 08, 2003 - 08:10 PM UTC

Mal , when I looks on Your Spit - I just mobilize to hard work - How You done such a Beauty ?

I have the same set prepare for Batlle of Britain Campaign - I used Your picture as some help , if you don't mind ?.

Regards

Absolute Tomcat , 299% Proof !!!
COMCARAIRWING
PIG#35
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, April 08, 2003 - 09:03 PM UTC
:-) Thanks TOMCAT14,
As I say this Spitfire was completed some time ago, not long after this kit first came out. It isn't actually finished, the antenna and IFF wires still need adding. When I built this I only knew about using stretched sprue and I knew that that would get broken off in no time, so I left them off. I'm now reluctant to drill into the fuselage for fear of damaging the paintwork. If you would like more pics of it let me know, I did have several in my folder at MSN but, along with many others I have had to remove them for space to put up my in progress pics.
For the techniques I now employ have a look at my article on the Bf 110G-2: Here
Remember, you can't have to many spitfires, in fact I will be posting pics of another one today :-)
Mal
Favorisio
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 277 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 08, 2003 - 11:25 PM UTC
You've passed me now Mal, after a slow start you're well away. I had the same 2 gaps to fill on mine too, and of course the same canopy problem. Yours is a really clean looking build, I'm only hoping I can hide some of mine with paint.
Pity to hide all the work on the cockpit with a closed canopy though.
I hope to have some of mine up on here too soon.

Roger
SniperSoldier
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Sao Paulo, Brazil
KitMaker: 1,638 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 09, 2003 - 01:19 AM UTC
GREAT BIRD
ROBERTO
slodder
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
AeroScale: 305 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 09, 2003 - 01:59 AM UTC
Ok - man -you take the cake - Nice spit. I love the interior, great job with that.
Back up 6 inches with the camera, put a backdrop and that puppy is straight out of a magazine.

Try taking the pictures in black and white -that would look great!
Tin_Can
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,560 posts
AeroScale: 750 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 09, 2003 - 02:08 AM UTC
Mal, lookin' great as usual.

Who makes this kit and are those actual 1/48 scale drawings on the instruction sheet?
csch
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Buenos Aires, Argentina
KitMaker: 1,941 posts
AeroScale: 1,040 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 09, 2003 - 02:33 AM UTC
Hi Holdfast. Great job you´ve done. It looks very nice. One question, what filler did you used in the seams ? Is it Testors ?
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, April 09, 2003 - 03:26 AM UTC
:-) It's Squadron White stuff, Testers is probably just as good, as are most others, I think. I will be finding out soon, I'm nearly out of white stuff and I believe it's now difficult to get?

Roger

Quoted Text

I had the same 2 gaps to fill on mine too, and of course the same canopy problem. Yours is a really clean looking build, I'm only hoping I can hide some of mine with paint.

I'm sure yours isn't as bad as you make out, and remember I've been doing this for nearly 20 years :-)

Quoted Text

Pity to hide all the work on the cockpit with a closed canopy though.

Not sure if your not just taking the piss here :-) but the canopy will be open, just using it to mask the cockpit :-)

Bryan

Quoted Text

Who makes this kit and are those actual 1/48 scale drawings on the instruction sheet?

Kit is Tamiya 1/48, the drawing is in the kit, part of the painting guide. It is to 1/48 scale.
Remember, no such thing as to many spitfires :-) More on the way.
Mal
penpen
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Hauts-de-Seine, France
KitMaker: 1,757 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 09, 2003 - 04:04 AM UTC
Hooowwwll !!!

Your spit is looking great !
It's just too bad I didn't have the time to join you in the group build...
i love spits too, but to be honest, the one I like best is the PR Spit, painted PINK !
And I just happen to have a kit of a PR pink spit waiting for me on the shelf...
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, April 09, 2003 - 04:10 AM UTC
:-) HHHHHHHHHHOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWWWLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!!!
I intend to do a pink PR Spit at sometime, I don't have any models of recce aircraft and the pink Spits are different. Maybe thats a theme for the next aircraft campaign :-) What kit do you have?
Mal
penpen
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Hauts-de-Seine, France
KitMaker: 1,757 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 09, 2003 - 07:09 AM UTC
My kit is the 1/72nd scale PR Mk X from Special Hobby / MPM that was recently released.
That's a model of the spit I'e been waiting to see for... 10 years (my knowledge doesn't allow me to do conversions yet) !
 _GOTOTOP