_GOTOBOTTOM
Rotary Wing
Discuss helicopters and other rotary wing aircraft from any era.
DML UH-1D/H ??s Originally posted by DogEgg
HeavyArty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
AeroScale: 1,728 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 08, 2007 - 05:37 AM UTC
Moved from another post for some forum clean-up.

Originally posted by Richard Gough, a.k.a. DogEgg:

Just got the DML UH-1D, which looks fantastic - yep the rivets are like cast iron ones but I can fix that - my big questions are:
1. Do I need to buy the DML Vietnam chopper crew in order to get a second M23 gunmount for the starboard door (or is there a better way of getting hold of one?)
2. Are the seats in the back necessary? In films and photos of the time, it looks like they were removed... It's just s I dn't start making up all those lovely seat belts for no reason.
3. Would the pilots be strapped in? I'm guessing yes, and in which case, are the straps in the kit (pale blue) the right colour?
That's all for now but I'm sure more will come up once i'm into the build...

Thanks

Richard
HeavyArty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
Posted: Thursday, November 08, 2007 - 05:38 AM UTC
For the M23 mount, yes, you either need to get another from the Dragon Vietnam helo crew set, or Cobra Company has a resin M23 set as well.

The rear troop seats can be left out. Some crews took them out to allow more troopers and gear to be packed in. Most troop carrying "slicks" had the seats in though. It is really up to you whether to leave them in or not.

Yes, the pilots would have seat belts holding them in. The color of the PE ones in the kit is right. They are a light blue-grey. I'm not sure the PE ones are long enough to fit though, I haven't tried them yet. I used strips of lead foil on the pilots for a previous Heuy I did.

More here.

Good luck.

HeavyArty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
Posted: Thursday, November 08, 2007 - 05:39 AM UTC
DogEgg's reply:

Many thanks Gino, those figures look great. I've just found a UK stockist of the helo figures too, so won't be too painful a search. On the laps of all the PE belts in the kit, there's a rectangular orange part, which I also see on your model - what is it, some kind of buckle? Just curious...

Richard
HeavyArty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
Posted: Thursday, November 08, 2007 - 05:39 AM UTC
The orange (actually brown) rectangle is a leather pad and is part of the buckle. The actual buckle is the horizontal aluminum bar piece across the pad. One end of the belt has a square-holed end. The other has the leather piece and buckle attached to it. The buckle works by having a long handle with a hook on the end. The hook goes through the square hole on the other end then the handle snaps down and secures across the pad. This locks the hook into place and holds it all together. Hope that explains it.

Check here for more info on correcting the Dragon kit as well.
HeavyArty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
Posted: Thursday, November 08, 2007 - 05:40 AM UTC
DogEgg's reply:

Halfway through the cabin/cockpit of the Dragon UH-1D... is the console/instrument panel supposed to be offset? Many pictures of B and C models seem to be off to the right, more in front of the pilot. There's no capacity to do this with the kit's console... and it attaches to the floor panel part in an unconvincing way - I had thought of extending it toward the windshield more using foil... anyone else having similar problems?

Richard
HeavyArty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
Posted: Thursday, November 08, 2007 - 05:49 AM UTC
Yes, the instrument panel should be offset to the right. The kits instrumnet panel can be modified to do this by cutting it off the attachment base, sliding it right, and reattaching.

How is the build coming along anyhow?
DogEgg
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 341 posts
AeroScale: 20 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 08, 2007 - 11:47 AM UTC
The main build and paint job is almost done - decals are on and am about to start on the two gunners in the doorways. Bought another DML crew set for the second M23 mount, and may start chopping the figs to fit, and to look like they're ready for covering fire - the plan is a dio with the bird just lifting off from a field of elephant grass having disgorged it's contents of an aircav team.
The two MRC "C" hueys are taking a bit more time - to be built as HAL(3) seawolves with fireball decals and one with cobra quad M60s/M6 mount. This ship will be detailed in and out with Eduard...

Will keep you posted on the continued builds. It's the IPMS nationals this weekend so will come back next week loaded with kits and lighter in the wallet!

Richard
HeavyArty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
Posted: Friday, November 09, 2007 - 04:09 AM UTC
Sounds good. I'm looking forward to seeing your whole flight of Hueys once done.
 _GOTOTOP