_GOTOBOTTOM
Rotary Wing
Discuss helicopters and other rotary wing aircraft from any era.
Huey Gunship ??s Originally posted by MARPAT
HeavyArty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
AeroScale: 1,728 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 08, 2007 - 06:07 AM UTC
Moved from another post for some forum clean-up.

Originally posted by J Hogan, a.k.a. MARPAT:

I am modeling a UH-1D gunship but no pics yet. it is a really old kit too. will have to get a camera so i can take some photo's.
HeavyArty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
Posted: Thursday, November 08, 2007 - 06:08 AM UTC
Looking forward to seeing it. I'm assuming it is the old Revell UH-1H (listed as a D, but its not) Huey in 1/32. It is a great kit. One note though, don't put the guns on it. The US Army never used UH-1D/H models as gunships, Revell got that part wrong. UH-1B and C models (short doors) were used as gunships. All US Army UH-1D/H models were "Slicks", troop transports, w/ M60D doorguns on M23 mounts. Cobra Company sells the 1/32 M23 mounts and weapons if you want to add them. It would also need interior troop seats added as well.
HeavyArty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
Posted: Thursday, November 08, 2007 - 06:09 AM UTC
MARPAT's Reply:

Hey Gino, Thanks for the advice but I made a mistake. I thought it was a D but I was wrong. here we go: 1:48 Huey Hog UH-1C by Revell Monogram.
I will post pick later because my computer isn't really happy at the moment making me .... nothing you can do about that though. Thanks
HeavyArty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
Posted: Thursday, November 08, 2007 - 06:10 AM UTC
I can give you some advice on it as well. First off, it is actually a mix of B and C features, but not accurate for either. Also, on the weapons load, don't install all the weapons on it. A B nor a C could not carry all that they have you put on it. Here is the approved weapons loads for B and C model Hueys.

Good luck on it.
HeavyArty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
Posted: Thursday, November 08, 2007 - 06:12 AM UTC
MARPAT's reply:

Thanks
HeavyArty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
Posted: Thursday, November 08, 2007 - 06:13 AM UTC
MARPAT, here is more info on the Revellogram UH-1B/C combo. This is from a fellow modeler, Rotorwash, at FSM's Helo Forum. His comments are to build it as an accurate B model.

"The Monogram kit is an OK starting point, but you have some mods to make in order to get an accurate B model. Unfortunately, the kit is a mixture of both B and C features. The kit comes with a B model tail and horizontal stabs. The roof mounted pitot tube should be left off and a nose mounted one scratchbuilt. The particle seperator for your bird is also in the kit. The one major issue is the rotor. The rotor that comes in the kit is the 540 rotor found on Charlies but not on Bravos. The B model also has a rotor chord of 21 inches vs. 27 inches for the C model. My suggestion is to get a rotor from a UH-1D ESCI or Italeri kit. The rotor head will work great and the blade is the right chord. Unfortunately, the diameter of the blades are 4 scale feet too long (44ft-B model vs. 48 ft.-D model). Other than shortening the blades, you only need to add the blade counterweights and you are in buissness."

There is more in-depth info about B and C differences in his thread here if you are interested.

What version are you attempting to build with it? Also, don't use the USMC decals on it. The USMC did not use B or C model Hueys. There was a USMC specific E model that is different from the kit as well. The Marines used different weapons and weapons loadouts too. More info on USMC UH-1Es can be found here too.

Good luck.

MARPAT
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Northern Territory, Australia
KitMaker: 206 posts
AeroScale: 37 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 08, 2007 - 06:20 AM UTC
Thanks I need all the help I can get.
grubbyfingers
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 404 posts
AeroScale: 339 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 08, 2007 - 10:16 AM UTC
Thanks for the info, Gino. I didn't realise the D/H and B had the same rotor hubs. Does the AH-1 use the same rotor as the Charlie, or just a similar design/system?
It is interesting looking at the load-out diagram. I have often wondered how our Aussie Bushranger gunships must have performed: UH-1H with 2 x miniguns, 2 x 7-tube launchers and 4 x M60s. You wouldn't want to get anywhere in a hurry! Still, as far as I know, we weren't trying to keep up with the Air Cav. I think they were mainly used as air support for our own ground ops so they wouldn't have ventured very far.
Graeme.

HeavyArty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
Posted: Thursday, November 08, 2007 - 10:30 AM UTC
Actually, the B and D/H all use the same chord blade, with the D/H blade being 4 feet longer. The C and D/H use the same rotor head as well. The B head is very similar, but with added counterweights on stems at the blade roots. The C and AH-1 use the same, wider chord blade, but on different rotor heads. Hope that is as clear as mud.

The Aussie Bushrangers were pretty awesome beasts. Slow for sure, but they did pack a punch.
MARPAT
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Northern Territory, Australia
KitMaker: 206 posts
AeroScale: 37 posts
Posted: Friday, November 09, 2007 - 04:10 PM UTC
I was looking at the model but I realized I need to put in the M-60's don't have a place to go I will post a picture when I get back to school because of the remembarence holiday weekend plus or report card weekend. Does anyone have any idea of where I can get 1/48 M-60's with roof straps and gunners at a good price or should I scrounge them from another kit.
 _GOTOTOP