_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
what would a US pilot eject with in WWII?
steve-o
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 545 posts
AeroScale: 23 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 08, 2007 - 08:26 AM UTC
I am currently building a diorama of a US downed fighter pilot evading some Germans.
What equipment would he have on him? Would he have a personalized leather flight jacket, with the squadron symbols on it? Or was it mainly the bomber crews who painted the jackets?
I know it was SOP to hid the parachute right away, and I can't imagine the leather helmet with all of its attachments stayed with a pilot for very long... But what else would he have with him?

Sorry if this seems but I figured you flyboys in Aeroscale would be more knowledgeable on this than in other forums. Thanks!

Steve
USArmy2534
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 2,716 posts
AeroScale: 246 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 10, 2007 - 01:07 PM UTC
At a minimum, he would have a pistol (either .38 or .45 M1911) in a leather holster (usually an armpit or chest holster), a map of some kind, a compass, a small first aid kit, he would also have his Mae West preserver, but he'd probably ditch that with the parachute as soon as he'd land. A bomber pilot will have a flak vest and maybe his M1 helmet or some kind of steel helmet and would be wearing a lot of cold weather gear. The A-jacket may be seen on a fighter pilot but the chances of it having a unit logo on the back would be less than on a bomber pilot. Pilots now adays have a lot more stuff on them than back then. I'd do a search for WWII pilots bailing out (since there were not ejection seats, they'd jump out of the aircraft, if they could). HTH

Jeff
mother
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 3,836 posts
AeroScale: 1,036 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 10, 2007 - 03:44 PM UTC
Hey Steve,
This may shed some light...WWII Pilot Gear

Joe
steve-o
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 545 posts
AeroScale: 23 posts
Posted: Monday, November 19, 2007 - 07:43 AM UTC
Thanks guys!

You two had more info that I could find in a few days!

Thanks again!

- Steve
 _GOTOTOP