_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft: Tips & Techniques
Discussions on specific A/C building techniques.
CAN SOMEBODY HELP ME ??
squeeky1968
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 315 posts
AeroScale: 66 posts
Posted: Friday, November 09, 2007 - 09:21 PM UTC
Dear fellow modellers can someone help me with some advice.
My problem is i have bought Eduard`s pre-painted etch set for Trumpeter`s A-10 Thunderbolt in1/32 scale,however,i need some guidence in what solvent to use to stick the individual dials and switches to it ?.
I was thinking about using PVA wood glue (also,by my way of thinking,this would also impart a "glaze" to the dials at the same time).However i wondered if this would be strong enough,i do`nt fancy the idea of using superglue because i thougt it might be too aggressive.
Expert guidence would be much appreciated because i do`nt want too screw up an expensive kit !!!.
CMOT70
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 629 posts
AeroScale: 539 posts
Posted: Friday, November 09, 2007 - 09:35 PM UTC
I think your idea of PVA is probably a good one. It's not strong but the dials aren't under great stress. For such things as dials i usually use Microscales "Micro Kristal Klear" which is a PVA type glue...i just think it dries a bit clearer and stronger than regular wood glue. But it could be my imagination too.

The problem with superglue is that you need to be perfect with your placement because you don't get much play time to adjust alignment.

Andrew
Phantom2
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Östergötland, Sweden
KitMaker: 708 posts
AeroScale: 678 posts
Posted: Friday, November 09, 2007 - 09:49 PM UTC
Hi Dan!

Like Andrew I sometimes use the PVA (Wood glue), but that doesn´t dry perfectly clear, Microscales "Micro Kristal Klear" or Humbrol Clear-Fix is better.

Sometimes I use CA in Gel-form, much easier to control and It gives a bit more "adjustment-time".

You can also use a ordinary clear "paint" to attatch small parts, and to make the glazing.

As long as the parts never will be stressed this will be good enough.

I usually attatch the sandwiched instrument panels (Etched panel face-acetate dials-backing), with clear-fix and when dry i run a small(!!!) amount of CA along the edges to secure the parts.
Small parts that goes on the panel are fixed using the above methods.

Hope this helped you a bit!

Cheers!

Stefan E
05Sultan
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 2,870 posts
AeroScale: 258 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 10, 2007 - 03:13 AM UTC
Future can be used for this application also.Take care in handling,though.
Cheers!
squeeky1968
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 315 posts
AeroScale: 66 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 15, 2007 - 07:25 AM UTC
Sorry i have`nt replied sooner guys,been away at work.Many thanks for the save,was dreading doing this part as i`ve spent the thick end of £100 on this kit so it would be a lot of dosh to flush down the crapper for one stupid mistake.
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Monday, December 03, 2007 - 10:22 PM UTC
Clip the eye end of a needle and use it to apply the thicker type "gel cyano acrylate" (super Glue) . Like a small fork with two prongs. Apply the glue to the back of the dials and glue inplace.
 _GOTOTOP