Aircraft of Germany in WWII.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
FW190d-9 paint help
TheBug
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 3 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, April 07, 2003 - 05:15 PM UTC
Can anyone tell me if the interior panels on a Dora should be RLM 02? Also was wondering if the Jumo 213 should be painted a RLM color or bare metal? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 08, 2003 - 01:22 AM UTC
Hi TheBug, first of all welcome to the site, the best on the web
Yes, inside of panels are RLM 02. I think for the engine semi-gloss black would be the appropriate colour, with washes and drybrushing of gun metal and silver. HTH :-)
What kit are you building? I have a Tamiya and a Dragon D-9 plus a Revell boxing of the Dragon D-9 (as a D-11?) I also have a italeri TA-152 H-1, all to 1/48. It would be really cool if you could post some pictures :-)
Mal
TheBug
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 3 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 08, 2003 - 03:02 PM UTC
Thanks for the welcome Holdfast and thanks for the info. I'm building the Tamiya D-9 and using the Aries detail kit. Just getting back into modeling since I was a kid and this is third model, the first two were kinda practice, get the right tools kinda ones. I really wanna make this one nice :-) So far I only have the cockpit done and am working on the engine, sorry no pics yet.
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, April 09, 2003 - 04:22 AM UTC
:-) What scheme are you doing? I quite like the blue 15 scheme but I can't work out all the colours from the instructions :-)
Mal
didiumus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 564 posts
Posted: Monday, May 12, 2003 - 05:11 PM UTC
Mal,

Are you doing a 76/82/83 or a 76/75/83 or a "hybrid" paint job? With the Dora, there are almost endless possibilities due to the poor conditions and the number of remanufactured airframes at the end of the war...

Let me know, maybe I can help. I think most of the new manufactured Doras came in 76/82/83 but I could be wrong on this. I know I DON'T like the Papagei Staffel markings...

Scott
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, May 13, 2003 - 09:11 AM UTC
:-) Thanks Scott,
I have 3 D-9s waiting for me to find the right schemes, one will definately be in the 76/82/83 scheme. I haven't managed to fined decals in a scheme that I fancy. I have few references on the D-9 so any help will be welcome.
Interestingly I happen to like the Papagei Staffel markings, if only because they are different.
Mal
didiumus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Utah, United States
Posted: Tuesday, May 13, 2003 - 09:21 AM UTC
Mal,

Squadron makes one of their "Walkaround" books on the FW190D-9. This is an awesome resource and only costs $12 - $15. See if you can get one or I am sure you can order from Squadron direct... Lots of bang for your buck. Are you looking for a certain aircraft or unit or just one you like? Do you like the markings on Yellow 10? (Champlin)

Scott

didiumus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Utah, United States
Posted: Wednesday, May 14, 2003 - 07:49 AM UTC
Mal,

Check out the new Dora that Chris Wauchop did over on Hyperscale. {Whats New} It is a 74/75/76 job and it is just beautiful...

Scott
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, May 14, 2003 - 08:46 AM UTC
:-) Scott,
I will certainly get the walkaround. You wont know, as your fairly new to this wonderful site, but I have been out of work for 7 months and only 2 weeks ago started a new job :-) (going great), so funds are at an all time low. So buying things for the hobby is not possable just yet. The walkaround is added to the list though :-)
I'm just looking for a scheme that catches my eye, but one in late war greens, for a kick off.
I do look in on Hyperscale, but only because of the fact that there are some excellant models showcased, such as Chris Wauchop's excellant work. :-) I will take a look.
Thanks.
Mal
didiumus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Utah, United States
Posted: Wednesday, May 14, 2003 - 10:49 AM UTC
Mal,

Best of luck in the new job! I am sorry to hear you were out of work. Hobbies like ours are expensive. I have been on a tight budget and been forced to sell a huge portion of my kits in order to get new items. I used to have well over 150 kits in my stash, and now I have maybe 30 or 40. (Although the quality is much better)

Mal - I can send you some scans and pics of 190D-9's if you give me your email address. Also please tell me what the limitations of your account if any so I dont send too many pics or pics that are too large.

I know you will be drooling over Chris' new Dora. Brett Greens recent Dora was also a beauty...

Scott
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, May 15, 2003 - 08:43 AM UTC
:-) Yes, seen both those Doras, wonderful :-)
I'm not sure of the limitations of my account, I will find out and PM you with my address. Thanks for the offer.
I plan to pick up decals for D-9s at this years IPMS(UK) Scale Modelworld in November, thats where I get most of my supplies :-)
I discovered this site while I was out of work and was never off it, my time here now has been drastically cut But at least I can now afford the hobby, again :-)
Mal
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, May 22, 2003 - 08:12 AM UTC
:-) My new job had me working in London, on Wednesday. I was finished by midday. My next job was half way home so the plan was for me to stay over Wednesday night. Just so happened that to get to the M1 motorway I passed close to Hannants Collindale shop :-) Not something to pass up, I picked up a set of 190-D9 decals. So a 190-D9 will be on the bench soon :-) not until after the campaigns are finished though :-) I'm now struggling to find time for them
Mal :-)
didiumus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Utah, United States
Posted: Thursday, May 22, 2003 - 12:08 PM UTC
Great Mal!! I am not sure what plane I will model, but I am almost ready to go on my 1/32 Dora. (after the campaigns of course) I have some Cutting Edge stuff left over from my older Hasegawa 1/32 Dora. (Wayyyyyy more money and not near as good)

The only thing I need for my Dora is some canopy masks (best aircraft modeling help EVER) and a decal sheet. I have the PE fret and the CE seat and resin details...

Looking forward to the Blenheim, or the Hurricane, or which ever one you decided on...

Scott
 _GOTOTOP