_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
My Bristol F2b Project in Progress
BradCancian
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 285 posts
AeroScale: 281 posts
Posted: Monday, November 19, 2007 - 11:23 PM UTC
Hi all,

Some may remember a while ago that I was tackling the Roden 1/48 Bristol F2b (Sunbeam Arab) - see here:

http://www.theaerodrome.com/forum/models/26740-uh-oh-i-ve-started-another-one.html

The intent of the project was to build the F2b for a diorama, specifically a maintenance scene. The project stalled for over a year or so as some other projects got in the way, and eventually she went back in the box and back into the pile. Some recent inspiration from some other modellers convinced me to dig this one out of the box again and do some more work.

As I was intending to build this dio as a maintenance scene, I decided that I would also have the tail surfaces and at least one of the wings "naked" - ie without the skin. So I decided to tackle these components by scratchbuilding them from evergreen styrene and wire. It took me a little while to get it all done, and I am reasonably happy with the results, but I think next time I will tackle such components differently. Anyways, here's some progress pics of the scratchbuilding:

Let me know what you all think - more than happy to hear suggestions on how to make corrections prior to painting... I'm sure that there is plenty that I can learn!!

Cheers,

BC
Kalt
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Mendoza, Argentina
KitMaker: 222 posts
AeroScale: 219 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 20, 2007 - 01:25 AM UTC
Beautifully done! I am very impressed with your amazing craftsmanship. Congratulations.
how are you going to paint the internal framing of the fuselage?
guitarlute101
_VISITCOMMUNITY
West Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,121 posts
AeroScale: 1,063 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 20, 2007 - 01:30 AM UTC
Nice work Brad,

Can you explain :

" It took me a little while to get it all done, and I am reasonably happy with the results, but I think next time I will tackle such components differently. "

How did you build them and how would you do it differently?

Thanks,
Mark
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 22, 2008 - 09:05 AM UTC
Hey Brad any progress on this bit of fun?
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Monday, November 24, 2008 - 04:59 AM UTC
I'm really looking forward on this build Brad . What ref's are you using for this one ?
BradCancian
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 285 posts
AeroScale: 281 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 25, 2008 - 11:05 PM UTC
Hey there guys - alas no progress on this one for quite some time - definately need to get back to it at some stage (so many other projects keep getting in the way...!) One day I will get back to it!

Hey there Terri - initial ref was from a scale modelling book that was in fact incorrect (learned that the hard way), so I got hold of the datafies on the F2b and was using that as the primary reference.

BC
goldenarrow
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wien, Austria
KitMaker: 77 posts
AeroScale: 72 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 27, 2008 - 10:09 AM UTC
Breathtaking work you are doing there Brad. For me this is the true expertise in plastic modelling. Would be proud to have these skills of you.
Sorry that I am not the enthusiastic forum poster, but I follow your work for a while. Always when I have my downs and don´t know how to go further your posts always help me to find a way out.
Really great work... thank you for sharing
Peter
 _GOTOTOP