_GOTOBOTTOM
Start Here (for Beginners)
This forum is for younger modelers or people just starting out in the hobby.
Do I remove these ?
tanky
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 45 posts
AeroScale: 20 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 22, 2007 - 03:13 AM UTC
Hi as title really Spitfire MK Vb do I remove these ? if so why on earth do the have them in the first place ?? and best way to remove!

sorry if this a dumb question

Joker
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 813 posts
AeroScale: 30 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 22, 2007 - 06:14 AM UTC
Hi,
Those to strips were stiffening ribs. According to my references ( Modlers Datafile - The Supermarine Spitfire - Volume 1 - Merlin powered by SAM and "Spitfire, The Canadians" by Robert Bracken, with the most accurate set of plans, so I've read) Some aircraft had them, some did not.
If you want to remove them I would suggest a chisel blade exacto and carefully remove them. I would be really careful as you don't want to dig into the wing. You could also use your sanding sticks and remove them that way. Starting with a heavy grit and working to a wet sand should do you the trick. I would then re-scribe the panel lines witha rescribing tool or a darning needle in a holder or the backside of an exacto blade. Lightly, and I mean lightly scribe the lines in by making several passes over the area ( using a ruler a a straightedge) to be scribed until you feel that you've reached the same depth.Smooth it out with scotchbrite or very fine steel wool, and your done.
I think I would leave'em on myself, its not incorrect to have them there, and easier, which means more time to build more!
Any other questions don't hesitate
Regards
Pete
tanky
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 45 posts
AeroScale: 20 posts
Posted: Friday, November 30, 2007 - 01:14 AM UTC
Hi thanks for youe help with this much appreciated!

I removed them in the end and wished I didnt! I wasnt happy with finish on final paint so I have another spitfire coming and I am going to start the build again. I learnt a lot from the first so this one should be much better, and I have a photetch set coming with it so should be all good and I will leave them on this time
 _GOTOTOP