_GOTOBOTTOM
Pre-Flight Check
Constructive critique of your finished or in-progress photos.
Spit MkV in progress, Spit MkV Trop finished.
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 09, 2003 - 04:05 AM UTC
:-) This is Hasegawa's 1/48 Spitfire Mk Vb. I started it some time ago, like alot of my models. It was surposed to be a quick build but what with one thing then another, it got shoved to the back of the pile. Starting the Spitfire group build gave me the push to get it going again, a bit like the 3 amigos, as I have 3 Spitfires now on the go. The fit of this Hasegawa kit is not as good as the Tamiya MkI/V but builds into a good looking Spit. The only enhancements on this kit are; PE seat belts and I have deflected the rudder, slightly and have dropped the elevators. All early spits, with very few exceptions, would sit with dropped elevators. It is not difficult to do but I have damaged one while cutting it off, it will be very difficult to repair.

This is the same kit as the previous one but as the tropiacl version. I have been traumatized by this model, it was like something out of a horror movie. I didn't think that I was ever going to get it finished. It all started when I had just finished applying the Dark Earth colour and was feeling very smug. I dropped it and the wings came off You can imagine the time I had sorting that out. I have dropped it a further 2 times, luckily the damage was minimal, but still required sorting. I cant tell you how many times I've had a fight with the carpet monster, or knocked off bits. I have fitted the pito tube at least 5 times. Even today when it was so close to being finished I was always nervouse when I had to pick it up. This is the only model I have ever had this sort of trouble with. Done now though :-)

I do like these tropical schemes, I have faded the upper surfaces by sprying them with a very much thinned coat of light grey. I do this a little better now, which I will hopefully show when I post pics of my Helldiver, if I can sort ou the canopies.
Mal
hworth18
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 426 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 09, 2003 - 04:16 AM UTC
Another fine job Mal, I only wish I could do as good as you.. BTW, what is the green mask on the canopy of the unfinished Spit??
TwistedFate
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 805 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 09, 2003 - 05:34 AM UTC
Great job, again, Mal. It's nice seeing Spits in a different camo scheme.

Quoted Text

BTW, what is the green mask on the canopy of the unfinished Spit??

That's the cockpit interior color. You spray it first so the the inside canopy framing is the same color as the rest of the interior.
SniperSoldier
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Sao Paulo, Brazil
KitMaker: 1,638 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 09, 2003 - 06:21 AM UTC
ANOTHER GREAT BIRD HOLDFAST - CONGRATULATIONS
ROBERTO
penpen
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Hauts-de-Seine, France
KitMaker: 1,757 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 09, 2003 - 07:04 AM UTC
the downtoned colors are very convincing !
Out of the models you've shown us this is probably the one I like best !
Also, I must say i've got a soft spot for the spit.
ArmouredSprue
_VISITCOMMUNITY
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 1,958 posts
AeroScale: 116 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 09, 2003 - 09:28 AM UTC
Ok Mal, don´t do it with me! I´m a Spitfire freak, I love this plane, and love most the desert camos...maybe one flown by George Beurling at Malta island, dreaming
I really liked your little birds, I can say to you that I got a bunch of these babys awaiting to be built sooner, but all in 1/72, I´ll keep you informed when I come to them...
Did you use Parafilm M to mask that canopy?
Keep up the excellent work ok?
Cheers
animal
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 4,503 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 09, 2003 - 02:47 PM UTC
The paint chipping and weathering is fantastic. Keep them coming.
shermanfreak
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 380 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 09, 2003 - 03:15 PM UTC
Mal...we're either going to have to get you your own forum here and find you a job. You are making us all look bad with the production coming off of your workbench. Another simply amazing build...gotta luv them Spits.
blaster76
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
AeroScale: 137 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 09, 2003 - 07:11 PM UTC
great weathering job on that beauty. I made mistake of building one open engine and it became a chore rather than a pleasure to much detailing takes the fun out of it, but you've made it look wonderful
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, April 09, 2003 - 07:25 PM UTC
:-) Thanks guys, glad you like it, the desert camo schemes are sort of more eye catching :-)
hworth18
As Tim says the green is the cockpit interior colour, the mask is Parafilm-M (I have a secret supplier )

penpen HHHHHHHHHOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!

Quoted Text

the downtoned colors are very convincing !
Out of the models you've shown us this is probably the one I like best !

Yeah, I kind of like this, like I say the desert camo schemes are pleasing to the eye. Like pacific theatre schemes they do look better if you can portray the bleaching effect of the sun. To look right though you must fade the decals as well. I have seen articles that use the middle stone shade for this affect, looks good, but before the decals are on which dosen't look right at all. It wouldn't look right over decals either. Using light grey (medium sea grey is what I use now) tones down all colours. It is very diluted and not evenly sprayed and only sprayed on the upper surface of the wings and top of the fuselage. :-)

Paulo

Quoted Text

Ok Mal, don´t do it with me! I´m a Spitfire freak, I love this plane, and love most the desert camos...maybe one flown by George Beurling at Malta island,

Well Paulo, there is know way that you can have to many Spitfires :-)
I will also be doing Screwball Beurlings Spit at Malta. The guy was amazing, he was such a good shot and was renouned for need very little ammunition to make a kill. There is a story that he and another pilot claimed the same kill, Screwball claimed he had used 3 rounds and remarkably also described where they had hit. When the downed enemy fighter was found, guess what, yep 3 rounds exactly where George had said. He got the kill. Like Hans Jochim Marsielle, he died in a transport plane crash, a sad way to go for a fighter pilot

Robert

Quoted Text

Mal...we're either going to have to get you your own forum here and find you a job.

Hehe, yeah really need a job, should be sorted by the end of the month, hopefully :-)
Mal
SS-74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Vatican City
KitMaker: 3,271 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 09, 2003 - 07:42 PM UTC
Mal,

Another fine piece of art despite the troubles you had descibed. All you planes inspired me to do more flying things. I am slipping into the dark side big time. Man!

great work!!!!

Grifter
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 608 posts
AeroScale: 55 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 09, 2003 - 11:28 PM UTC
I agree wholeheartedly about the fading paint, simply outstanding.
Paint chipping on the walkway maybe a bit much for my taste, but well done nonetheless.
I'm not too knowledgable on Spits....should she have an aerial wire? Probably not huh?
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, April 10, 2003 - 07:06 AM UTC
:-) Dave you have me confused?

Quoted Text

I am slipping into the dark side big time. Man!

I though armour was the dark side. I'm looking forward to my little trip there, during the Barbarossa campaign

Greg

Quoted Text

Paint chipping on the walkway maybe a bit much for my taste, but well done nonetheless.
I'm not too knowledgable on Spits....should she have an aerial wire? Probably not huh?

I know what you mean about the paint chipping. It is actually quite authentic, for a Spitfire thats seen a bit time. I have no references for this particular Spit, but as far as I'm concernd, if it has managed to survive everything that I've thrown at it, it's a surviver
There was a change of radio that didn't require the long lead to the fin, it was actually housed in the antenna itself. You can tell this by the fact that the bracket for the fin lead is missing, leaving just the fixings. I found this out after painting, the fin tip lead pick up should have been removed (it does say in the instructions) but not knowing why, I left it on. I'm not sure about IFF (Identification Friend or Foe) wires either. I'm sure I've read that the wires for this equipment weren't required, due to an upgrade aswell. :-)
EDIT: Mk Vb did have IFF wires. Mk IX did not.
Mal
slodder
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
AeroScale: 305 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 10, 2003 - 08:02 AM UTC
That is one awsome bird! Great job. That is great - the fade, the chipping, nice and nice.
Bender
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wyoming, United States
KitMaker: 323 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 10, 2003 - 02:59 PM UTC
wow again another awesome aircraft
very nice work, again

Bender
mj
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 1,331 posts
AeroScale: 325 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 10, 2003 - 03:25 PM UTC
Beautiful work, Mal. I love the colors, weathering and the chipping. Can I ask what technique you used on the chipping? I don't seem to have much luck when using that effect.

Mike

Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, April 11, 2003 - 05:41 AM UTC
Mike

Quoted Text

Can I ask what technique you used on the chipping? I don't seem to have much luck when using that effect.

I use a bog standard silver pencil, I put any paint chipping on after the matt coat, so there is "tooth" for the pencil to work on. I keep the chipping to edges of panels and the fasteners of panels that are always being opened, like gun/ammo and engine panels. Also where air/ground crew walk, wing leading edges and the odd place along panel lines/joints. Prop spinners also get some, as do the blades if they are metal. Spitfire blades were jablo, a wood resin composite, the blades on this Trop Spit have revieved a little dry brushing with light stone.
Mal
hworth18
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 426 posts
Posted: Friday, April 11, 2003 - 08:59 AM UTC
Mal,
I don't suppose you could write a column describing step by step the process you use to build your models could you??? If you were here in the states, you'd probably have a dozen people offering to be an apprentice ( I know I would).. Anyway, I have a couple of airplane kits ( one of which is the 110) that I haven't started because I don't know really what the beginning processes are.. After watching this forum and seeing the quality you turn out, any help you could provide us beginners would certainly be appreciated.
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, April 11, 2003 - 10:49 PM UTC
:-) hworth18
Have you seen my feature on the Bf 110G-2?
Mal's 110
This is more about finishing, but I have spoken to Jim about doing a series of articles, based on the basics, for the young and novice modeller. I'm not sure that I qualify, there is far greater talent than me out there. However I am willing to outline what I do, as I feel quite strongly about helping others, because the only help I was ever really able to get was from books. Trouble with books is they only tell you what to do but not really how to do it. So when you hit a snag you have to find the solution. One of the great things about this site is you can get the lowdown on a technique but if you hit a snag you can clear up the point in a forum or PM.

Quoted Text

I don't suppose you could write a column describing step by step the process you use to build your models could you???

Could be difficult, as each model is different, and can throw up different problems. However I'm sure I could put together something to outline the basic sequence, then maybe expand each part with a more indepth article. I have already sent in one on pre-shading. So after all that I think what I am saying is yes I will put together something.
Is your 110 the Promodeller 1/48 kit?
Mal
 _GOTOTOP