_GOTOBOTTOM
Start Here (for Beginners)
This forum is for younger modelers or people just starting out in the hobby.
Beginners Inventory.
paddymac
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3 posts
AeroScale: 3 posts
Posted: Friday, November 23, 2007 - 11:06 AM UTC
I havn't built a model in 20 years but feel the urge to do so after all these years. Things have moved on a bit since my last effort I know. I have purchased myself an Aztek airbrush and a compressor (still waiting for these to arrive) and an Airfix 1/48 Spitfire mk1 with the two blade prop.

What I am after is a list of essentials I will need to buy in one visit to the model shop (which is quite a drive for me) without having to go back numerous times. Whats listed above really is what I have at the minute.

Advice needed is for whats below and anything else you can think of.

eg
Paints
Thinners
Tools
Materials etc etc

Many thanks, Paddymac.
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Friday, November 23, 2007 - 07:11 PM UTC
Hi Paddymac!

Welcome to Aeroscale!

This feature might be usefull: Beginners guide to everything! Pt.1

If you have other questions, don't hesitate. By the way what Spitfire kit is it? The new one by Airfix?
Anyway, I wish you good luck and I hope you have a digital camera to share your work with us.

Jean-Luc
Bungal
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 84 posts
AeroScale: 69 posts
Posted: Friday, November 23, 2007 - 08:34 PM UTC
Hi

Dont forget good old blutack. I dont know how many times that stuff has come in handy for everything from holding small parts for spraying to using as a mask for doing camouflage.

Brian
paddymac
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3 posts
AeroScale: 3 posts
Posted: Friday, November 23, 2007 - 09:05 PM UTC
I bought this kit... http://www.hannants.co.uk/search/?FULL=AX05115 I thought this seemed good value with good reviews and more importantly not to fiddly.

I will make a visit to the model shop during the week sometime and get myself kitted out.
okdoky
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,597 posts
AeroScale: 34 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 24, 2007 - 02:03 PM UTC
Hi there

A good cheap purchase to to add to your list includes tooth pics and crocodile clips. Buy the type with a cylindrical end that you crimp the electrical wire into. Instead, crimp the clips onto the end of tooth pics.

Get hold of some pieces of polystyrene packaging of various shapes and sizes and you can use the crocodile clips for holding small or large parts for spraying, detailing or glueing parts together. A whole vehicle can be supported on a sheet of styrene as a cheep and very versityle model clamp with clips stabbed in where ever you need.

Tools including tooth pics (with or without clips on) can also be stabbed into a strip of styrene keeping them handy on your work bench.

Nige
okdoky
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,597 posts
AeroScale: 34 posts
Posted: Monday, November 26, 2007 - 09:51 AM UTC
This is a good way to work on your models and is dead cheap. Polystyrene or foam packaging is free and plentyfull to make support platforms for work station platform , spray paint booth supports, drying area support, tool steady and hand support for painting by brush.

Now I have space in my shed, I have pressed craft knives and other tools into several foam bases dotted about the shed set up for the various purposes, painting glue setting, cutting area, drawing, etc.

Look in "show your workbench" blog in latest posts.

All the best

Nige

Murdo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,218 posts
AeroScale: 211 posts
Posted: Monday, November 26, 2007 - 12:13 PM UTC
Nice one Nige!!!

Excellent advice.
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,117 posts
AeroScale: 2,270 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 29, 2007 - 08:11 AM UTC
Files
Pliers
Clamps
Pin Vise and Bits
X-acto Knife and Blades (Number 11)
Some sort of sand paper
Paint thinner depending on type of paint
Plastic sheet, rod, etc
References
Pastels or other weathering agent (Don't forget paint in weathering colors)
Dremel tool and bits
Camera (We want progress photos)
An understanding spouse
 _GOTOTOP