_GOTOBOTTOM
Rotary Wing
Discuss helicopters and other rotary wing aircraft from any era.
Full Metal Jacket Trivia Time
grubbyfingers
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 404 posts
AeroScale: 339 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 25, 2007 - 12:10 AM UTC
Hey guys,
I was just watching Full Metal Jacket (again). Ever noticed that Rafterman and Joker get transported out to the frontline in a CH-34 Choctaw, yet the shadow they cast is that of a Bell 206? They flew Choctaws in the film, it must have been cheaper to use the Ranger as a camera ship, I guess.
Anyone know any other good helo goofups? (Apart from flying an MD500 into a train tunnel.)
Graeme.
janwillem
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Groningen, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,236 posts
AeroScale: 43 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 25, 2007 - 05:55 AM UTC
Well I don't know if it counts as a goofup, but in the movie "The beast of war" they used a Super Frelon as a Mi17 Hip (and this for someone who builds tanks )
acav
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 517 posts
AeroScale: 5 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 25, 2007 - 08:15 AM UTC
Given that FMJ was filmed in the UK, that CHJ-34 Choctaw is most likely a Westland Wessex, the UK license produced Sikorsky chopper.

HTH

acav out
AJLaFleche
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 8,074 posts
AeroScale: 328 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 25, 2007 - 09:33 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Given that FMJ was filmed in the UK, that CHJ-34 Choctaw is most likely a Westland Wessex, the UK license produced Sikorsky chopper.

HTH

acav out

I believe you're right. IIRC it has the big bulbous nose.

Now, while it's not helicopter related, but in is related in that it's from another folm by Kubrick, In Dr. Strangelove, the B-52 casts a B-17's shadow . Also the shots of the ice flows used in Dr. Strangelove were posterized and colorized and recycled in 2001: A Space Odyssey.
leon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
KitMaker: 65 posts
AeroScale: 37 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 25, 2007 - 11:07 AM UTC
I believe that in one of the Rambo movies they used a Puma as a Mi-8 Gunship
AJLaFleche
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 8,074 posts
AeroScale: 328 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 25, 2007 - 01:18 PM UTC

Quoted Text

You have to consider in the 80's there weren't many HInd's availbale to Hollywood. The producers had to make do with make up to make available allied helo's look like Soviet birds. I don;t consider those to be errors, any mor than the T-34 Tiger in Private Ryan.
HeavyArty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
AeroScale: 1,728 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 25, 2007 - 01:34 PM UTC

Quoted Text

It was actually a Puma mocked-up to be a Hind-A. The same ones were used in Red Dawn as well.

I agree with AJ though, these aren't mistakes, but the only way to get Soviet helo or vehicle in the '80s.
JollyRoger
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Istanbul, Turkey / Türkçe
KitMaker: 1,241 posts
AeroScale: 616 posts
Posted: Monday, November 26, 2007 - 05:49 AM UTC
I am not sure if it is the same movie but I remember a Sikorsky Seaking having some personal disorders and and trying to look like a Hind in Vietnam. Also the Gazelle trying to disguise itself like a ....a..a.a....aaaaa....dunno, Russians generally don't design anything that fragile looking... what ever... in Rambo III was something weird.
By the way did anyone noticed the helo attack scenes on Bakersfield at the start of the Swarseneger movie Running Man is actually from 80's version of King Kong?
 _GOTOTOP