_GOTOBOTTOM
Cold War (1950-1974)
Discuss the aircraft modeling subjects during the Cold War period.
Hosted by Tim Hatton
Tickling the tail pipe of a Mig 17
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 28, 2007 - 06:57 AM UTC
Here is a clear definition of the small line between life and death. It might make a interesting diorama.

"The tail strike occurredduring at a 1990 airshow in Harrison,Arkansas. Kelly, who was a technician for the FAA and some what of a camera buff, wastracking this guy flying a MiG-17 with his camera. The pilot had just completed a loop and misjudged his pull-out. Everyone considering themselves as potential victims, took-off running in all directions. But Kelly had a non-threatening position with strong motivation to take the picture. So just as the MiG scraped the ground, Kelly captured this rare image. Had it been circulated at the time, this clear, once in a lifetime photograph mighthave earned an award.

Oh, by the way, the guy made a wide circle, lowered his landing gear, touched downthen taxied in showing very minor damage."
madwolf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 258 posts
AeroScale: 66 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 28, 2007 - 07:06 AM UTC
Great picture. Those 15/17s (like most other Soviet aircraft meant to be used off rough terrain) seem to withstand abuse pretty well. They had an episode on Dogfights where one also scraped the ground in a similar circumstance (misjudgement) and continued to fight.
CRS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,936 posts
AeroScale: 1,168 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 28, 2007 - 07:34 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Oh, by the way, the guy made a wide circle, lowered his landing gear, touched downthen taxied in showing very minor damage

I'd guess the pilot taxied over near the port-a-potty area. I know I would.
 _GOTOTOP