_GOTOBOTTOM
Rotary Wing
Discuss helicopters and other rotary wing aircraft from any era.
Italeri 1/72 V-22 Osprey
Silantra
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Putrajaya, Malaysia
KitMaker: 2,511 posts
AeroScale: 121 posts
Posted: Monday, December 03, 2007 - 03:49 PM UTC
One of the newer build...
i just started building the kit 2 days ago... one of my express build, one of my fastest record in 6 years. I was so amazed by my speed ..LOL

Ok a bit about the kit..
standard Italeri kit... lots of flashes.. but fitting is good. Some instruction is not clear and maybe taken from the 1/48 version which didnt showed in the 1/72 ... I plan to do OOTB ..
you got the option to posed the propellers in vertical or horizontal and once it's fix you cant change it. Option to open or close the rear cargo bay door.

ok enough talk....... it's show photos time
break up of major parts

the cockpit.. all were handpainted with vallejo acrylics... The seat are all basic and i intent to keep them just like that.
Shot from various angle.

i assembled each of them to the starboard side. Notice the crew compartment... i didnt painted them except for primer only coz none of it will be visible to the small window and i plan to close the rear door.

Test fitting of the part...

The propellers assemblies... i devided into 2 groups.. the rotor and the engine...

The instruction ask for ballast to be added at the nose. It ask for 18 gram but i got 10 grams.. the metal thing from tire balancing...

fix it to the bottom of the floor plate with powerfull double side tape

FInally time to mate the fuselage (or the hull?? ) hehe and called off the day. It's 2.30 am la...time to get some sleep. I glued them and tied with masking tape.

that's for now........ watch out for the space....
gonna be fast!!!

comments are welcome......
HeavyArty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
AeroScale: 1,728 posts
Posted: Monday, December 03, 2007 - 04:42 PM UTC
Looking pretty good. I would suggest at least painting the seatbelts that are molded onto the seats though. They should be a medium gray color. Also, on the instrument panel, the squares around each of the MFDs should be black as well. If you want to be accurate, the whole cockpit should be flat black to make it NVG compatible.

Keep up the good work and keep us posted.
Silantra
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Putrajaya, Malaysia
Posted: Monday, December 03, 2007 - 05:16 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Looking pretty good. I would suggest at least painting the seatbelts that are molded onto the seats though. They should be a medium gray color. Also, on the instrument panel, the squares around each of the MFDs should be black as well. If you want to be accurate, the whole cockpit should be flat black to make it NVG compatible.

Keep up the good work and keep us posted.

Gino,
thanks for the suggestion and i will take it into consideration. When i read the instruction it said the seatbelt should be painted with MM Rubber... i have no clue what's rubber color is. Unless i'm too stupid, the rubber from the tree is white. LOL!!!
thanks pal
f1matt
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Manitoba, Canada
KitMaker: 1,021 posts
AeroScale: 184 posts
Posted: Monday, December 03, 2007 - 08:21 PM UTC
This should be a little different from the norm. So is the real thing in production yet? What branches of the American armed forces will use it? I would imagine it would be perfect for the Marines.
HeavyArty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
Posted: Tuesday, December 04, 2007 - 03:55 AM UTC
The V-22 and MV-22 (Spec Ops version) are currently being fielded by the USMC and USAF. More info on it can be found here.
Trigger
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 15 posts
AeroScale: 14 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 04, 2007 - 04:08 AM UTC
Actually, the MV-22A/B is the USMC variant and the CV-22 is the USAF's Opsrey.
Silantra
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Putrajaya, Malaysia
Posted: Thursday, December 06, 2007 - 03:22 PM UTC
continue with turbo charged me

all gaps were fill with superglue and Mr Surfacer 500. Then sanded to smooth. This generated a lot of dust........[advised : wear dust mask , particulate dust mask]

photos
Before sanding job!

after sanding job...

cockpit is already masked
Following Gino's advise i painted the cockpit with flat black and the seat belt with grey

that's for now...
HeavyArty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
Posted: Thursday, December 06, 2007 - 03:57 PM UTC
Looking great. The cockpit looks much better. Keep us posted.
Silantra
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Putrajaya, Malaysia
Posted: Tuesday, December 11, 2007 - 03:40 PM UTC
Preshading with flat black

move on to the final color . Dark Ghost Grey

leap forward to the final scheme. Dark Ghost Grey with Light Ghost Grey and a bit of aircraft grey.

weathering is next...

HeavyArty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
Posted: Wednesday, December 12, 2007 - 10:34 AM UTC
She's looking great. Keep us posted.
sneakypete
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Armed Forces Pacific, United States
KitMaker: 149 posts
AeroScale: 49 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 12, 2007 - 07:32 PM UTC
Good looking build. On a side note yesterdays European edition of the Stars and Stripes had an article addressing the desire for more firepower on the Osprey. I tried looking online for the article but I guess they havn't posted it yet so here is a paragraph or two.

"Ospreys come equiped with a gun on the ramp in the rear of the aircraft, but might also get a gun with a 360-degreefield of fire, said Marine Lt Gen. John G. Castellaw."

""One of the options would be to install within what we call the "hell-hole" -- but that, that's where the cargo hook is - a gun there would have the ability to shoot 360" said Castellaw, deputy commander for programs and resources."

I just wonder how that would affect the rolling capability of the aircraft and if it would be able to shoot straight down.
Silantra
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Putrajaya, Malaysia
Posted: Thursday, December 13, 2007 - 03:43 PM UTC
another update..

Decalling. The decals were totally crap! they wont respond to microsol and set. Nevermind..just apply them and see the result... i was not pleased at all...

and opssss... i accidently marring the canopy.... arghhhhhhhhh.... i dont know what else to do in this shot period...
the canopy is really screwed!!!

anyway i moved on to the next step just to quickly finished the build.

the shot after decalling and some unsuccessfull atempt of weathering.

Can you spot the decals??

Finally test fitting inside the glass casing. the rotor took more space and barely 1mm away from the glass...

that's for now. The bird need the wheels now...
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
AeroScale: 3,788 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 27, 2007 - 08:13 AM UTC
Great result so far. Very low visibility on the camouflage scheme and the markings.

Looking forward to see it finished.
 _GOTOTOP