_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
DML SPAD XIII.CI
Dwaynewilly
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 365 posts
AeroScale: 344 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 04, 2007 - 12:55 PM UTC
Fellow Stringbaggers,
Just thought I'd share the latest step on my modeling journey. I've tried to follow some of your suggestions, in particular where finish is concerned. This is the DML/Shanghi Dragon issue of the SPAD XIII.CI. I used a combination of the wire provided in the kit as well as .009 dia./6 lb. and .011 dia/8 lb. test monofilament . I also used AeroMaster 48-575 decal sheet for the markings to represent the machine flown by Lt. Hamilton Coolidge of the 94 Aero Squadron USAS in late 1918.

I tried using the 8 lb. test for the cabling between the interplane struts and the lower fuselage but I think I need a heavier gauge.

Comments and suggestions are welcome.
Thanks, Dwayne
guitarlute101
_VISITCOMMUNITY
West Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,121 posts
AeroScale: 1,063 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 04, 2007 - 01:23 PM UTC

Looks good, Dwayne. I still have that one in my stash to build.

Mark
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 04, 2007 - 06:50 PM UTC
Dwayne, Nicely Done sir!!!! My only comment is that you won't see laminations in these props as they were shellaced a solid red brown. Otherwise very nice indeed.
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,117 posts
AeroScale: 2,270 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 05, 2007 - 07:09 AM UTC
I don't have it in my stash, but I wish I did.

It looks fantastic.
Dwaynewilly
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 365 posts
AeroScale: 344 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 05, 2007 - 08:35 AM UTC
Stephen,
Thanks for the tip. Was there any grain visible at all?
Carl,
This kit is definitely worth grabbing if you can get it. It goes together so nicely and comes with really nice photo etch. It seems a shame that DML has not re-released it. Who knows, if Eduard gets around to releasing the one they said was in the works then DML may put theirs out as well. They seem to like playing the spoiler.
Dwayne
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 05, 2007 - 08:44 AM UTC
On the French manufactured shellaced propellers - no grain. The shellac was applied in several coats and was solid. British and American contracts allowed for both varnished and shellaced. You don't see too many varnished French propellers (mostly on trainers.) IMO.
CMOT70
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 629 posts
AeroScale: 539 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 05, 2007 - 12:14 PM UTC
I really like this one as well! And it's a great subject. It's reminded me that i have this in the stash, but it's the special post war scheme with the stars and bars all over it. I'd actually prefer to do a standard French or Hat in the Ring aircraft from late in the war. So i may have to find one of those Aeromaster sheets as well.

Good job!

Andrew
MerlinV
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 608 posts
AeroScale: 602 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 05, 2007 - 09:38 PM UTC
I have this one in my stash... and every intension to do it in the "Stars and Stripes" Scheme that comes in the box, although, not necessarily using the decals in the box.

Nice build Dwayne.

Cheers,

Hugh
WisconsinStephen
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 4 posts
AeroScale: 3 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 15, 2007 - 06:15 AM UTC
That's a very nice build, Dwayne. I finished the identical version myself -Hamilton's Bleriot #22- about a month ago. Can't wait to see what Eduard will come up with in 2008 for their SPAD XIII. Am highly partial to AEF SPADs myself.

Wisconsin Stephen (as opposed to Colorado Stephen ... Lawson, that is)
biplane
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 23 posts
AeroScale: 9 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 15, 2007 - 02:28 PM UTC
Nice job, don't fret over the rigging size. I have 2 kits in my stash, looking at yours makes me want to start one of them. I managed to pick 1 up that has extra decals for Siam with it, interesting
cheers,
Bob K.
 _GOTOTOP