_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
Roden's DH 4 in the mailbox
Repainted
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Östergötland, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,058 posts
AeroScale: 1,004 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 10, 2008 - 10:35 PM UTC
Hi folks
Time for the promised update. For the moment the DH:4 is up for some serious masking job. All ribs got a tiny strip before preshading. The build haven’t give me any big problems so far. Sadly I'm lacking good references on this one, so my guesswork can have some flaws 8=).
Will be back with more pics

Larsa

JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Friday, January 11, 2008 - 07:56 AM UTC
Greetings Lars;

How is the fit of the parts? Does it go together well? When you say you gave the wing ribs a strip is that a rib cap and did you use plastic or decal film?
Repainted
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Östergötland, Sweden
Posted: Saturday, January 12, 2008 - 02:14 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Greetings Lars;

How is the fit of the parts? Does it go together well? When you say you gave the wing ribs a strip is that a rib cap and did you use plastic or decal film?

Hi
The fit of the parts is not Eduard, you have to sand and reshape some of them, around the engine mostly. Nothing terrible but you have to fix them for a proper fit. Otherwise It´s a nice kit. If you handeled Rodens before You know the book. The kit is not for the newcommer in this field, It´s typical Roden You will be the master of dryfitting

more pics comming up soon

Larsa
Repainted
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Östergötland, Sweden
Posted: Tuesday, January 22, 2008 - 12:31 AM UTC
Hi folks
Time for some update, yes it’s been some time. The DH 4 is in the painting stage for the moment. Lots of masking for me to do with all that preshading. As usually all the ribs been masked of and the whole plane was given a thin coat of black/brown. All stripes of masking tape was cut out from a wider tape.
All masking went off and new one’s going on, this time for the colours of the machine. The upper camo is mixed from Humbrols 83, 30,70 and 35.don´t know if it’s the correct colour of choice but I just like that shine.
So for the moment the bird is just masked of again to take on that lovely red colour the boxart have. Then’s time for the grey

Cheers
Larsa

Cheers
Larsa
Repainted
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Östergötland, Sweden
Posted: Friday, February 22, 2008 - 04:50 AM UTC
It’s all over now and this is what the DH4 looks like is. Be your own judge folks, it’s was real treat to build. I didn’t like the DH4 in the start, but this model just made me realise the beauty in the machine.
Here’s the photos for you

Cheers
Larsa
Dwaynewilly
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 365 posts
AeroScale: 344 posts
Posted: Friday, February 22, 2008 - 01:44 PM UTC
Lars,
Well done sir, another excellent build. I would like to build some of my RFC stash and your build is certainly an inspiration. If I may,
I'd like to know what methods and materials you used and where you used them for the rigging? The British machines in particular seem as if they flew in one side of a dental floss factory and came out of the other side looking like they do! It's like the rigging has it's own rigging sometimes.
Very well done.
Dwayne
Repainted
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Östergötland, Sweden
Posted: Friday, February 22, 2008 - 11:25 PM UTC

Quoted Text

The British machines in particular seem as if they flew in one side of a dental floss factory and came out of the other side looking like they do!

Hi Dwayne, That´s a good one.
The method I use is not spaceage tech. Using a elastic thread called Gold-Zack, to make the turnbuckles I hot stretch some Q-tips. Just slide the thread thru the fine tube. And to secure the thread and buckles I´ve make some tiny loops from 0,15 mm wire. It’s time-consuming work, but it pays off..

A= the Gold-Zack thread
B=the hot stretched Q-tips
C=The Q-tips cut to 2mm peices
D=I´ll use an old airbrush needle to fix the tube bac into shape
E=The thread with tiny tubes on it.

The tiny loops from wire

The technique then is strait forward. Drill tiny holes around each strut according to your reference. Glue a loop in place, and then start to wire the first one. Put the thread marked E thru the loop secures with a knot and a tine drop of Superglue. Stretch the thread and do the same in the other side. Last you´ glue the tubes in place.

There you have it Dwayne

cheers
Larsa
Dwaynewilly
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 365 posts
AeroScale: 344 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 23, 2008 - 12:16 AM UTC
Lars,
Thank you very much for the detailed explanation, the photos are great. I especially like your technique for making turnbuckles, very clever indeed.
Dwayne
Repainted
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Östergötland, Sweden
Posted: Saturday, February 23, 2008 - 01:17 AM UTC
Hi Dwayne
You can use bob Buckles trunbuckles, he sells them for small sum, I´ll going to order them for a test. This way I´m doing it is timeconsuming, but a nice way to watch Tv and make some loops fro the next project
Cheers
Larsa
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Saturday, February 23, 2008 - 07:26 AM UTC
Looking good Lars!
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Sunday, August 31, 2008 - 04:53 PM UTC
Larsa has his build over on the Roden website!

http://www.rodenplant.com/Gallery/422/422.htm
 _GOTOTOP