Hosted by Rowan Baylis
P-51 Glengary Guy finished
Red4
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 4,287 posts
AeroScale: 1,164 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 15, 2007 - 04:31 AM UTC
I put the wraps on this bad boy this morning...well almost. Once I got to looking it over, I noticed my gunsight was missing Most likely got pulled out when I removed the masking in the cockpit. Will add an AM item later. I lost the windscreen, but vac formed a new one. The fit wans't too great so I made it work as best I could filling gaps with Krystal Kleer and smoothing it out. Worked fairly well. The hi-light was the Aeromaster Decals. They went down without a hitch. No silvering, no curl ups etc. Great stuff! Kit cockpit was swapped for a True Details one. Canopy was dipped in Future to impart that deep shine. Overall a fun build, and best of all, it came from my pile of kits to finish over the winter. I believe that makes 8 down and 20+ something or other to go. Thanks for looking. "Q"

lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 6,249 posts
AeroScale: 3,270 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 15, 2007 - 07:00 AM UTC
Nice Mustang Matthew.
Did fitting the AM cockpit give you any problems?
The olive drab in particular looks to have a sheen to it in the photos.Did you aim for that effect?
It wouldnt be inappropriate as many pilots and ground crews waxed their planes for those few extra mph.
Nige
calvin2000
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 886 posts
AeroScale: 332 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 15, 2007 - 07:19 AM UTC
looks very real to me........
Red4
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, December 15, 2007 - 08:18 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Did fitting the AM cockpit give you any problems?
The olive drab in particular looks to have a sheen to it in the photos.Did you aim for that effect?

Thanks for the kudos. I don't recall any problems with the cockpit, however, it was started quite awhile ago so I may have forgotten if it did. The OD is pretty flat, it might just be the lighting where I was shooting the pics. Thanks again for the kudos. "Q"
f1matt
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Manitoba, Canada
KitMaker: 1,021 posts
AeroScale: 184 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 15, 2007 - 09:33 AM UTC
The Spitfire I built this summer is still without it's gunsight. I was in such a rush to finish the cockpit I just forgot to install it. I never got around to fixing that and probably never will. I guess she's a recce Spit now. I like how yours turned out, even minus the gunsight. The OD looks really good too.
Red4
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, December 15, 2007 - 10:34 AM UTC
Thanks. I figure since I have 12+ more P-51's on the shelves I can buiild one without a gunsight. Hopefully I won't run into the same problems with the rest of them. Thanks again for the kudos. "Q"
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 16, 2007 - 07:12 AM UTC
A very nice Mustang and very nicely and subtley weathered, are you going to enter this in the December MOM?

Mal
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,117 posts
AeroScale: 2,270 posts
Posted: Monday, December 17, 2007 - 09:19 AM UTC
I really like the Mustangs with OD over NMF. I was thinking about doing one of those for the Battle Over Europe Campaign.

Great Job
yousatonmycactus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 4 posts
AeroScale: 3 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 26, 2007 - 12:42 PM UTC
Red4,

I am afraid your work is not finished quite yet...

P-51 Mustang MC Z "Glengary Guy" was my father's ride. The name on the left side is correct. The right side was "Jackie", my mother's name. Dad's name was Glenn Martin Webb. My brother's name is Gary. My name is Guy. My mother brought me a cardboard carton for Christmas, which has been sealed since December 7, 1951 when Dad crashed in his Air National Guard P-51 Mustang in Amarillo, Texas. His plane went down with "Glengary Guy" on the left side and "Jackie Julie" on the right. Julie is my sister, who was 3 months old when Dad died.

Your model is now my screen saver... Thank you!

The Glengary Guy
Red4
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, December 26, 2007 - 01:48 PM UTC
Guy, thank you for the history on the plane. Honored that you have it as your screen saver. I had no knowledge of the different name on the starboard side of the fuselage. I'll have to build another one and correct that Do you have any pictures of the plane? Thanks again for the story and info, much appreciated. "Q"
yousatonmycactus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, December 27, 2007 - 04:40 AM UTC
Mathew,

I have hundreds of photos of "Glengary Guy". You can Google the same and get photos of both sides. Combat Flight Center, WWll Flight Center , Sim-Outhouse Forums, Screenshot Art, etc. etc. It is also featured in the Sturmovik Il2 video game. Thanks again.

Guy
Red4
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, December 27, 2007 - 06:09 AM UTC
Guy, Thanks for the info. Will do so. "Q"
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,117 posts
AeroScale: 2,270 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 27, 2007 - 01:43 PM UTC
After that brief exchange, I have to say, you really did a great job. It is really nice to hear something that makes the models we build a little more real. And thanks to Guy for the human touch.
yousatonmycactus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, December 27, 2007 - 04:41 PM UTC
There should be 1 and 1/2 Swaztikas painted on the left hand side of the plane. Dad never had to fire a shot that killed someone, and was proud of that...
 _GOTOTOP