Looking for a JU-52 kit
Martinnnn
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 5,435 posts
AeroScale: 32 posts
Posted: Monday, December 17, 2007 - 11:21 PM UTC
Hi guys & girls,

Need your expertise in this area. I'm looking for a Junkers JU-52 kit. It needs to have some interior/engine detail as it's going to be build as a crashed airplane.

I don't know much about kits on this subject so I hope one of you could help me out here!

Thanks,
Martin
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
AeroScale: 3,788 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 18, 2007 - 02:03 AM UTC
Hi Martin

What scale are you looking for? There are both 1/72 and 1/48 examples.

Are you going for a diorama from the early blitzkrieg in France and the low countries?
Martinnnn
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, December 18, 2007 - 03:03 AM UTC
Sorry, forgot to mention. It's 1/72 scale I'm looking for, and I'm going for a May 1940 diorama during the German invasion of Holland.

The Luftwaffe lost over 400 aircraft in 4 days of war over Holland, of which 167 JU-52's (although other sources say over 250 were lost) Most of them were shot down by Dutch AA guns. The slow, low-flying JU-52's were a perfect target. Examples:

Ju-52 shot down near Stolwijk. That's about 1km from where I live. Lot's of allied aircraft crashed in this area as well from '43 till '45.

Ju-52 crashed on airport Valkenburg

Ju-52 shot down and crashed on the beach of Katwijk

Another one shot down over Stolwijk. All those Ju's in my back yard!

A Ju-52 which had to make an emergency landing near Zwijndrecht

Ju-52's destroyed at Waalhaven, Rotterdam

And some more...

And another one...

Talking about crashed aircraft in my back yard. They're digging up a Mosquito nearby as well

CMOT70
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 629 posts
AeroScale: 539 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 18, 2007 - 12:34 PM UTC
I only know of the Italeri kit in 1/72, but there may be others. At least the Italeri kit is easy to get. Not sure if it has much in the way of interior and engine detail though as i've never actually seen the kit.

Andrew
ukgeoff
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,007 posts
AeroScale: 101 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 18, 2007 - 01:54 PM UTC
In 1/72 you have the ancient Airfix kit (don't bother with it, engine detail is poor and no interior detail) , the Italeri kit and one from Revell (not sure if it's reboxed Italeri or if its still available). The Italeri versions (they do three or four) are still pretty good for their age. They include seating in the passenger area but I'm not sure how accurate they are, as they can be configured in two ways, and one version has stretchers for a casualty evac role.
Martinnnn
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, December 18, 2007 - 08:10 PM UTC
Thanks for the replies. It kinda surprises me that there are so little kits of this well-known and much used aircraft
squeeky1968
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 315 posts
AeroScale: 66 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 25, 2007 - 06:22 AM UTC
Hi buddy,i seem to remember that Heller built one too but just how hard that is to get hold of now i do`nt know.Best to try E-Bay,if you can`t get it there it`s probably as rare as rocking horse pooh !!. HTH.
 _GOTOTOP