_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
F-117 Question
shonen_red
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Metro Manila, Philippines
KitMaker: 5,762 posts
AeroScale: 543 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 12, 2003 - 01:28 AM UTC
I have here a 1/48 scale F-117. Is there another color scheme other than that standard black scheme for F-117 Nighthawk? What I need is an official scheme used these years. I really wanted to change it's colors. Anyway, if there is none, black scheme still looks good. Thanks!
TwistedFate
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 805 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 12, 2003 - 01:34 AM UTC
Your choices on the F117 are Black. That's it. I have seen one with the American flag on the bottom, but I'm not sure that was actually flown in combat.
Tin_Can
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,560 posts
AeroScale: 750 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 12, 2003 - 01:44 AM UTC
Check out the link below. It has a pic of a camo F-117. Not sure when the pic was taken or for what purpose the camo was applied but definetley a chance in pace from the all black finish.

http://www.danshistory.com/f117.shtml
viper29_ca
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Brunswick, Canada
KitMaker: 2,247 posts
AeroScale: 168 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 03, 2004 - 01:24 PM UTC
They have also begun to paint a few F-117s in the same scheme as the F-22 Raptors, testing the F-117s for the Global Strike Initiative, and by painting the F-117s like the F-22s, they don't stick out against a blue or grey sky like a sore thumb.....a black jet against a blue sky or cloudy sky, sticks out quite well.

I have seen a picture of the F-117 painted this way, but can't remember where I saw it, I thought someone posted it here on Armorama, but haven't found it as of yet.

If anyone knows where it can be found, please let me know, I would like a reference to this scheme as well. I have the Italeri 1/72 version, and was thinking of doing it, wheels up, weapons bay open, with a LGB having just been released, piece of clear sprue holding the LGB up in flight, with the F-22 Raptor scheme, but marked in a What If scheme....as its going to have Canadian Markings!!!! HEHE
Longshanks
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 191 posts
Posted: Friday, March 05, 2004 - 05:30 AM UTC
As viper said there was the first type of camo used during testing..........
The only other camo I've seen is black with white insignia.

I remember seeing it at RIAT, the police were armed and there were 2 sets of fences to stop you getting a closer look.

You'd think you didn't trust us!........lol
CRS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,936 posts
AeroScale: 1,168 posts
Posted: Friday, March 05, 2004 - 05:48 AM UTC
Like all good things , they can't leave it alone. Here a pic of an evaluation paint scheme. I believe all the operational birds are still black. HAVEBLUE (the prototype) had all kinds of paint schemes standard camo, low vis gray, blue on blue, and even all white.
AJLaFleche
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 8,074 posts
AeroScale: 328 posts
Posted: Friday, March 05, 2004 - 06:32 AM UTC
Could this be the ghost scheme you're talking about?

viper29_ca
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Brunswick, Canada
Posted: Friday, March 05, 2004 - 06:53 AM UTC
Hey Al...yeah I have seen that picture, but it doesn't seem to have the dark grey on the top as the GSF model does. Here is the only other picture I have been able to find....shows pretty much what the paint job would be....just wish it had a view of the tail fins as well.

phoenix-1
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 629 posts
Posted: Friday, March 05, 2004 - 10:17 AM UTC
If I remember correctly, there were plans to sell the F-117 to the British Royal Air Force. The paint scheme I think was a light ghost grey main color with camo-like stripes in either dark ghost grey or gull grey. The markings remained on the jet like on every other British warplane, with the roundels on the wings and such.
Kyle
shonen_red
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Metro Manila, Philippines
KitMaker: 5,762 posts
AeroScale: 543 posts
Posted: Friday, March 05, 2004 - 11:55 PM UTC
Wow, they are making day versions of the night attack F-117.
viper29_ca
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Brunswick, Canada
Posted: Saturday, March 06, 2004 - 03:45 AM UTC
Yeah.....for $100 million a pop, they want to get the most bang for their buck....waste of money if they can only use it for half of the day.

Apparently the B-2 will be repainted as well.
Longshanks
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 191 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 06, 2004 - 06:59 AM UTC
As far as I was aware the RAF had no plans to buy the F117 as the cost of the aircraft and the maintenance was too much......

Anyway, British Radar managed to pick one up at an airshow one year!

The USAF was not impressed to say the least!............. :-)
DougMauserFa
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Nebraska, United States
KitMaker: 48 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 06, 2004 - 09:12 AM UTC
I was stationed at Tonopah Test Range in Nevada in the late 80's and early 90's. The British did have an exchange pilot the flew with the 37th TFW. Not sure what the rotation was for the Brits was or why they had the exchange program. As far as the F-117 being seen at and air show with radar, the F-117 has a retractable part on the aircraft that allows it to be seen on radar so other air craft are not put on it's flight path during normal (not war) flights. The desert camo pattern seen on the F-117 was in the early days of the F-117 program. The aircraft was flow in the day time and it was painted so that Soviet satelites were unable to see them as well when on the ground or in flight.

Hope that this info helps little.

Doug
 _GOTOTOP