_GOTOBOTTOM
Cold War (1950-1974)
Discuss the aircraft modeling subjects during the Cold War period.
Hosted by Tim Hatton
Kinetic 1/32nd F86F Sabre Jet pics
crockett
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 370 posts
AeroScale: 60 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 23, 2007 - 03:41 PM UTC
A really nice kit, with a huge potential for hyper detailing. NMF is Tamiya AS-12 with Alclad II to break up the panels. Kit decals were used and the build is OB except for the excellent Avionix resin seat:

All comments are welcome:

okdoky
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,597 posts
AeroScale: 34 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 23, 2007 - 04:02 PM UTC
Hi there

What a beautifull, clean work of art. Looks fab. I watched some of a UK History channel programme on the Sabre in Korea but missed the bit that told of a pilot who pushed his wingman's plane with his own a good 100 miles to safety after a cannon round split the fuel tank. Apparently they made it close enough to home to allow the rescue helos to move in and rescue him outwith the danger zones.

I would not have thought it possible, but I suppose all he would have needed to do is keep forward momentum going.

"for every action there is an equal and oposite reaction"

Have you ever heard of this incident? How do you discuss that with your wingman? Hang on while I get out and give you a push!

Nige

Red4
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 4,287 posts
AeroScale: 1,164 posts
Posted: Monday, December 24, 2007 - 01:01 AM UTC
Saw this over on Hyperscale. Nice build. Did you have any type of twist in the fuselage? Only asking as a friend of mine had a nasty twist in his front to back that really pi**ed him off. Saw the Dogfights episode that talked about the "push" incident with the Sabre's. Very cool. Fact is sometime stranger than fiction. Thanks again for sharing your work. "Q"
crockett
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 370 posts
AeroScale: 60 posts
Posted: Monday, December 24, 2007 - 03:28 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Saw this over on Hyperscale. Nice build. Did you have any type of twist in the fuselage? Only asking as a friend of mine had a nasty twist in his front to back that really pi**ed him off. Saw the Dogfights episode that talked about the "push" incident with the Sabre's. Very cool. Fact is sometime stranger than fiction. Thanks again for sharing your work. "Q"

Hello Matt,

when I joined the fuse, there was just a slight mismatch, no twist. This was easily dealt with. HOWEVER, ......When joining the halves, there is a clear dimensional issue with the gun bay "cheeks". Sidewalls had to be reduced by at least 1mm to allow the halves to close without interference.

regards,
Steve
Red4
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 4,287 posts
AeroScale: 1,164 posts
Posted: Monday, December 24, 2007 - 04:20 AM UTC
Steve, Thanks for the info. I will pass it along to my buddy as I'm sure he would want to know. Again, great looking build. "Q"
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,117 posts
AeroScale: 2,270 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 05, 2008 - 01:37 PM UTC
I have this kit, and I am anxious to start it. After opening the box, I thought the kit looked a bit "clunky". Then when I put everything back in the box, I realized it was a really heavy kit. The details look good and I will probably build it OOB.

Nice build. Thanks
 _GOTOTOP