_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft: Tips & Techniques
Discussions on specific A/C building techniques.
Humbrol enamels first time user
Percheron
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 432 posts
AeroScale: 360 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 27, 2007 - 12:12 PM UTC
Hi all,

After seeing many of the fine write-ups about Colourcoats and Humbrol I thought I'd jump into enamels for my La-7. So far I really like the finish and they go on wonderfully, though clean up is more work.

My question is this: I noticed while cleaning up that the Humbrol left grainy residue inside of the mixing jar I used. The grains broke apart easily when touched with a cotton swab and did not seem to be "gloopy" as if a chemical reaction took place (thank God!). I was just curious if this is normal enamel behavior, and any other advise you may have would be helpful.

I used white thinner that my wife uses for her artists oil and they leave the same residue.

Also, why does Humbrol insist on using tinlets? They are kind of cumbersome compared to the Tamiya or Testors bottles.

Thanks!

-Derek
Phantom2
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Östergötland, Sweden
KitMaker: 708 posts
AeroScale: 678 posts
Posted: Friday, December 28, 2007 - 01:08 AM UTC
Hi Derek!

I have lived with Humbrol enamels for all my modelling life, more then 40 years now (ouch, am I THAT old???).

I have some VERY old (25+ years!) Humbrol tins, and those requires a very good shake´n´stir before use, but properly thinned, they spray wonderfully trough the airbrush.
The newer Humbrol "Super Enamels" has been very good, almost as good as the really old ones.

"Has Been" you ask?

Yes, unfortunatley Humbrol moved their paint-shop from England to China after their demise and resurrection.
As a result from this move, the quality of the paint have dropped so far as I almost render them useless for airbrushing!

Now, I don´t buy more tins then I desperatley need from Humbrol, as If any important color runs out or a very Humbrol-specific color is needed.

Obviously You have got one of those new tins, I have discoverd the same effect as you did.

I have switched to the White Ensign or Xtra-Color ranges, most WE in my case.
These paints are of the good old Humbrol quality and are as easy to use.

I used White Spirit until I started spraying with the airbrush, now I only use "real" paint thinner.
Works much better, sprays better and doesn´t leave the oily residue/sheen as WS does.

Clean-up is always a mess and enamels smell pretty bad, but I think the result Is worth the extra work.

Hope this helped!

Cheers!

Stefan E
Percheron
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 432 posts
AeroScale: 360 posts
Posted: Friday, December 28, 2007 - 04:04 AM UTC
Thanks Stefan!

Quoted Text

I have switched to the White Ensign or Xtra-Color ranges, most WE in my case.
These paints are of the good old Humbrol quality and are as easy to use.

I thought the W.E. paints were made by Humbrol to the colors W.E. wanted?

Either way, so far I'm impressed by both the Testors and Humbrol. I will work out a cleaning routine.

-Derek
Phantom2
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Östergötland, Sweden
KitMaker: 708 posts
AeroScale: 678 posts
Posted: Friday, December 28, 2007 - 06:25 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I thought the W.E. paints were made by Humbrol to the colors W.E. wanted?

Hi Derek!

Humbrol is NOT made by WEM or X-tracolor!

But X-tracolor and WEM paints are made at the same factory, in England.

Forgot to say that when it comes to brush-painting, Humbrol still rules!

Yes, the cleaning is a mess, but have a look at the tips Dave O´Meara gives in his article here on Aeroscale.
Follow that (as I have done) and you´ll clean out you airbrush in less than 10min!

https://armorama.kitmaker.net//features/1204

Cheers!

Stefan E
 _GOTOTOP