_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
A Hurricane Mk I...One of the Few
Flyboy_RO
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Bucuresti, Romania
KitMaker: 35 posts
AeroScale: 32 posts
Posted: Friday, December 28, 2007 - 07:32 AM UTC
Dear All,

I have finally decided to share with you my latest build. First of all I must say that it could have turned out better, but as we all aim to improve, I can only hope that the nest one will be better...
The kit is a standard Hasegawa 1/48, with a propeller from a Spit Mk I Tamiya to represent the DeHaviland one that used to be on the real plane. Hase gives a Rotol which is representative for the late Mk I Hurricanes. Unfortunately I couldn't find the correct shape propeller hub. Another personal adittion was the taillight which is made from clear stirene unlike the grey plastic the kit came with.

As most of you probably know, the cockpit needs not much attention or any suplemental details

Briefly, Romanian Royal Aeronautics placed an order for 60 pieces, out of which, due to the begining of the war and the joining of Axis forces, only received 12.

These were organized as the 53rd Independent Squadron at Mamaia tasked with guarding the port of Constanta and some major bridges over the danube. My machine used to be flown by the Sq. Cmdr. Capt. Av. Emil Georgescu.

As I am not very good at describing the work, please see the results for yourselfes...and ENJOY!

For other info please visit http://www.worldwar2.ro/forum/index.php?showtopic=1857&st=0

Thanks to Mr. Radu Brinzan and Gabriel Curteanu who kindly supplied their help and advice throughout the entire build!
Flyboy_RO
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Bucuresti, Romania
Posted: Sunday, February 10, 2008 - 03:59 AM UTC
No reply...
WingTzun
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 853 posts
AeroScale: 137 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 10, 2008 - 04:10 AM UTC
Your post must have slipped through the cracks somehow - I missed it bwtween the holidays. Looks like a job well done to me.
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 6,249 posts
AeroScale: 3,270 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 10, 2008 - 04:15 AM UTC
Definately must have slipped through cause I thought it was a new post!
Looks great, and a very interesting paint scheme.
I had no idea Hurricanes were used by the Romanian air force
Nige
Percheron
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 432 posts
AeroScale: 360 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 10, 2008 - 04:43 AM UTC
Gabriel,

Thanks for posting these and sending me the link earlier for my research on the same plane. I'm getting close to painting my Mk.I in the next few days for the "For Export" group build. I did a few mods myself, which I hope you enjoy.

-Derek
vanize
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,954 posts
AeroScale: 1,163 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 10, 2008 - 05:20 AM UTC
actually, you should link a few images of this machine into the "for export" group build thread to inspire us all.

and well done!

do you have any pics that are taken from a little further away? i'd like to see the whole thing in one shot so I can get a better idea of it.

-v-
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
AeroScale: 3,788 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 10, 2008 - 01:30 PM UTC
Hi Gabriel

I thought it was a new post as well. A very nice Hurricane you have there. Definently unusual markings and quite cool to have mickey mouse riding a horse on the side of the aircraft.

I am a bit confused about the wing guns. Were they covered by a red cover? I had the impression that the red areas were just added around the muzzles of the guns. Is there a reason that the gun muzzles are covered?

Good job - thanks for sharing
CMOT70
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 629 posts
AeroScale: 539 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 10, 2008 - 02:05 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Gabriel

I thought it was a new post as well. A very nice Hurricane you have there. Definently unusual markings and quite cool to have mickey mouse riding a horse on the side of the aircraft.

I am a bit confused about the wing guns. Were they covered by a red cover? I had the impression that the red areas were just added around the muzzles of the guns. Is there a reason that the gun muzzles are covered?

Good job - thanks for sharing

Hi Nigel, as far as i'm aware the red covers often used over the gun ports on many British aircraft were doped fabric. I believe the main reason was because of problems with muzzles that were flush to the wing leading edges getting moisture into them and ending up with a block of ice at high altitude. Ice was most likely to form over leading edges. Then there is also keeping dust and dirt out as well. Aircraft with protruding muzzles didn't have those problems as much.

But i could be wrong about all that too...

And nice Hurricane as well! Makes me want to do that Hasegawa Bf109E Rumanian that i have stashed away.

Andrew
Tarok
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 10,889 posts
AeroScale: 174 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 10, 2008 - 02:55 PM UTC
Good work. Nice to see this bird in different markings. Did the Hurr's in Romanian service see any action against their Allied cousins?
Emeritus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 2,845 posts
AeroScale: 1,564 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 10, 2008 - 04:08 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Nigel, as far as i'm aware the red covers often used over the gun ports on many British aircraft were doped fabric. I believe the main reason was because of problems with muzzles that were flush to the wing leading edges getting moisture into them and ending up with a block of ice at high altitude. Ice was most likely to form over leading edges. Then there is also keeping dust and dirt out as well. Aircraft with protruding muzzles didn't have those problems as much.

But i could be wrong about all that too...

I've heard that were also meant for easier spotting of misfires. If a gunport cover was intact on a plane returning from a mission (assuming guns were fired of course), there had been something wrong with the weapon and could use a closer look.

Anyway, great-looking Hurrinane you have there.
How does the Hasegawa kit got together, any potential pitfalls or things to watch out for?
I'm thinking about building a 1:48 Hurricane myselft too, which one would be a better choice, Hase or CA?
Flyboy_RO
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Bucuresti, Romania
Posted: Thursday, February 21, 2008 - 01:12 PM UTC
Thank you all for your nice words. Well I am Romanian and I thought I might as well do some work on my own grounds

The ARR (Romanian Royal Aeronautics) sported a large number of airplanes and among them the HH. It didn't saw any action against its allied brothers because...the russians were kind of ...afraid ??? to engage Romanian pilots.
The story goes that a HH number 3 yellow, flown by Capt. Horia Agarici, shot down 3 Pe-2 on the first day of the war, defending the harbour instalations in Constanta. Afterwards...little russian activity on that part of the front

Now back to the model, it fits quite OK, no major issues except for the guns fairings which come as a separate piece an need some serious filling and sanding.

For a list of ARR planes please visit this link

The red covers were also used to prevent dirt buildup and intake during takeoff...because of the wider openings in the fairings. i do not exclude any other explanation already given. they seem comon sense to me.

I am posting a large scale photo with all of the beast, and I will try to link the photos in the "for export" thread.

All the best to all of you
 _GOTOTOP