_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
bobs robin in 1/48
fightnjoe
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 603 posts
AeroScale: 565 posts
Posted: Friday, December 28, 2007 - 05:11 PM UTC
this is the hasegawa p-40e in 1/48. the weathering is an experiment to see how thin the line is between too much and just right. it is also an experiment in matching the painting with the weathering. finishing this leaves me just a bit empty as the finish seemed to happen before i thought it would. the paints are model master od and neutral gray. the weathering was several steps. first a pin wash in selected areas to get the spreading stain look. then a pin wash over the gloss coat and finally a brushing of chalks over a dull coat. i should say it all began with the painting. you will notice there is no antenna. that is by my choice.

overall i am very pleased with the look. it achieved i believe the worn but not worn out look i was going for. i also believe i accomplished what i set out to do with the painting and the weathering.

thanks for looking in. please any comments good or bad are encouraged.

joe
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Friday, December 28, 2007 - 07:43 PM UTC
Hi Joe!

I think the weathering turned out good, the model is very convincing like that. Did you use the kit's decals?

Jean-Luc
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Friday, December 28, 2007 - 10:39 PM UTC
Yes it turned out good, but a little dark, maybe? I think that this is partly due to the lighting but I think that you have used black? for the panel line wash. I always feel that black is just to stark and I use shades of grey or brown. For an aircraft such as this, wearing olive drab over neutral grey, I would use a medium to dark grey wash on the undersides and a burnt umber or burnt sienna or even madder brown (these are all artist oil paints) on the upper surface.

Mal
fightnjoe
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, December 29, 2007 - 05:51 AM UTC
jean-luc yes those are the kit decals. they set up very nicely.

mal thankyou for the comment. i agree looking at it i should have gone with a much lighter wash. the black seems to be my fall back. honestly i am not the most comfortable when i weather my builds. i dont seem to get the look i want. this was the first one that i really got the paint and weathering (at least in application if not shade) the way i wanted. i will definitely file this one away as successful application. i will try different shading with the next project like this.

many thanks for looking in. thankyou for your kind words.

joe
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,117 posts
AeroScale: 2,270 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 30, 2007 - 06:21 AM UTC
It looks great. I think the weathering is quite nice.
fightnjoe
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, January 09, 2008 - 02:45 PM UTC
carl thankyou for the kind words. sorry for the late response.

joe
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
AeroScale: 3,788 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 09, 2008 - 08:28 PM UTC
Good job on the weathering.

I am also experimenting with different washes, but they always turn out too heavy and makes the plane look like it has been fighting on the ground and not in the air. Well, practice makes perfect

Thanks for sharing
fightnjoe
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, January 10, 2008 - 07:12 AM UTC
jesper thankyou for the kind words.

joe
 _GOTOTOP