_GOTOBOTTOM
Pre-Flight Check
Constructive critique of your finished or in-progress photos.
Westland Wyvern
fish1642
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 89 posts
AeroScale: 77 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 01, 2008 - 05:24 AM UTC
This is a Westland Wyvern Trumpeter kit in 1/48 built OOB. This is my first decent attempt at weathering with oils. It came out well but I couldn't get the decal to settle as much as I wanted in the panel lines. I used micro set and micro sol but still trying to perfect them. All in all I think this is my best model so far and it certainly paid to take my time as I normally rush things. I still have to varnish but apart from that it's done.
Please feel free to comment as always.

lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 6,249 posts
AeroScale: 3,270 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 01, 2008 - 01:10 PM UTC
Hi Chris.
Dont forget to mask the canopy before you varnish!!
Lovely looking Wyvern though, and your right to feel pleased with yourself.
There are two ideas you could use to help the decals sit into the panel lines.One for brave people and one for not so brave,,LOL.
Brave method...
Before applying the micro sol,( the solution that wrinkles and then pulls the decals down into the engraved detail),using a brand new blade, very carefully cut the decal along the panel line.Then apply the microsol and it should bed down with no sign of a join.
Sometimes the decal has settled down into the panel line ok but because the panel line is shallow you wont be seeing the effect your looking for. To get round this, before painting, rescribe the panel lines in the area where the decals are going to be applied. This will give a deeper engraved line for the decal to sink into when microsol is applied.
How did the Wyvern go together? Ive looked at this kit on more than one occasion and have almost been tempted a few times.
Nige
Emeritus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 2,845 posts
AeroScale: 1,564 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 02, 2008 - 12:38 AM UTC
Very nice looking Wyvern you got there.
Does this 1:48 scale version go together as well as the 1:72, you have experience on that?
Having built the smaller kit and looking at this quarter scale version in my stash, it's nice to see the kit improved (For example, PE seatbelts and instrument panel. I've never figured it out why on earth do some kits have a clear instrument panel...), but one thing they should have changed. That's the windscreen being connected to the sprue on the clear portion. You seem to have done a nice job cleaning it up.
fish1642
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, January 05, 2008 - 08:50 AM UTC
Thanks for the tips and comments.
All in all the kit went together really well. I can't say about the 1/72 kit haven't seen it. I did have to build the model in my own order and not according to the step by step instructions or else you'd never be able to paint it properly. Having said that the instruction are clear. The only filling required was to touch up minor areas. The kit comes with a way of making the props spin in counter rotation but I couldn't seem to get it to work so I glued mine fixed in position in the end. The other problem I found was that the engine/prop section is supposed to be glued in postion when the fuselage is joined together. Doing that again left problems with painting. Instead I cut of the location pins and then found I could slide it in after painting and glue in place at the end.
All in all a good model to build which I really enjoyed making and I think looks fantastic. Nice also that it comes with etched seat belts. I wish more kits came with parts instead of having to pay more for them afterwards than the kit itself.
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
AeroScale: 3,788 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 08, 2008 - 02:39 AM UTC
Chris, I can understand that you are proud of this one. You did a good job on the shading and blending of colours along panel lines. Great bird.
The decals look good to me.

Thanks for sharing
gcn123
KitMaker: 69 posts
AeroScale: 60 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 17, 2008 - 05:12 AM UTC
I too found despite a liberal coating of micro set & sol that the decals wouldn't adjust to the contours of the panel line as I would have liked and hence I was not able to get my washes over the decal.

My trick was to use my fingernail gently rubbed along the panel line over the decal and a couple of strokes later I had a nice groove with which to apply the wash.
fish1642
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, February 05, 2008 - 12:30 AM UTC
Great idea I'll have to borrow the wife's false nails though as i bite mine. bad habit I know but didn't think i'd need them to build a model
buggalugs
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Australian Capital Territory, Australia
KitMaker: 135 posts
AeroScale: 115 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 06, 2008 - 12:48 AM UTC
Chris, I echo everyone else's comments - what a great build! Also interesting to hear how well it went together. I built the Classic Airframes 1/48 offering two years ago, and while I am very very happy with the finished result, it was a bit of a dog to build. There was a big step to fix between the upper wing and fuselage, and lining up eight individual prop blades was scary!! If I was doing it again, I would definitely go the Trumpeter route! And I back up lampie's comments about using a scalpel blade on recalcitrant decals over panel lines - it's a trick that works every time, and it isn't too scary once you've done it the first time....Great work once again! cheers Brad
 _GOTOTOP