_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Fine Molds 1/48 Kawasaki KI 10
Kitboy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Gelderland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 258 posts
AeroScale: 256 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 02, 2008 - 08:42 AM UTC
Hello,

I just made a start on this project:

Normally I am more a ww1 builder, but I decided to do a series of last fighting biplanes. So, an Avia B534, Fiat CR 42 and some more are likely to follow. Doing biplanes and rigging is of course no problem to me.

Japanse aircraft is a bit of an unknown terain for me. So far I had been looking on the internet for original picures and could find a few. What my most urgent question is, what excact color should I use? I saw some build 1/72 ICM examples, they were very light grey. Fine Molds suggests some very light greyish green. Can anyone help me on that?

I also looked for on-line builds, but could so far only find a few previews.

Greetings, Nico Teunissen
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
KitMaker: 5,609 posts
AeroScale: 5,231 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 02, 2008 - 09:36 AM UTC
Hi Nico

I wanted to build this for the Rumble in the east campaign ... do not think I can make it

Get the etched parts (esp. for the rigging bands and instructions. So far it was a pleasure to build. I think I'll go with the new Tamiya army grey or the Gunze colour but a light (slightly greenish) grey should be fine .... furthermore have a look at j-aircraft.com

cheers

Steffen
CMOT70
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 629 posts
AeroScale: 539 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 03, 2008 - 11:54 AM UTC
I've also been thinking of ordering one of these from HLJ. Issue 29 (December) of MAI magazine had a build feature of that kit. The builder for that one used the kit specified Tamiya XF-14 and it looks pretty good, though i think i'd add just a little white for some shading.

And if you're doing the last fighting biplanes then don't forget Rodens 1/48 Gladiators, nice kits.

Andrew
GVoakes
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Manitoba, Canada
KitMaker: 193 posts
AeroScale: 32 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 03, 2008 - 03:14 PM UTC
Hi Nico,

If I recall correctly, the Imperial Japanese Army A/C were a grayish green. Testor's has an Army Gray Green in their Model Master enamel line which is a pretty good match. I believe their is a similar colour in the Gunze line of paints.

Check out the message boards at J Aircraft.com as well. If anyone would know the correct colour, it would be those fellows!

I'm looking forward to following your progress on this one. So far, I've resisted the temptation to get one for myself!

Grant

Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 03, 2008 - 10:36 PM UTC
Hi Nico

Ironically, I made a start on one of these myself just before Christmas, as I thought it would make an unusual subject for Aeroscale! It's ready for painting and I've gone for the camouflaged version (I've got both kits - they're identical, except for the accompanying groundcrew and accessories) to tie in with a forthcoming review of WEM's Japanese Colourcoats and to try out some custom Miracle Masks which Mal is providing.

With my internet currently knocked out at home, I hope to make a bit more progress this weekend - but uploading the results is a bit of a problem...

All the best

Rowan
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
AeroScale: 3,788 posts
Posted: Friday, January 04, 2008 - 01:42 AM UTC
Nico and Rowan, remember - as Steffen has already pointed out - that these builds could be part of the Rumble in the East Asian Sky campaign if you finish before 31st January.
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 05, 2008 - 10:19 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Nico and Rowan, remember - as Steffen has already pointed out - that these builds could be part of the Rumble in the East Asian Sky campaign if you finish before 31st January.

Hi Jesper

It was also part of my sneaky plan to surprise everyone with a late entry - but you know how notoriously slow I am! Still, if my internet connection keeps messing me about, I hope to get some paint on it today, so who knows...

All the best

Rowan
Kitboy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Gelderland, Netherlands
Posted: Sunday, January 06, 2008 - 12:31 AM UTC
Hello,

Thanks far for the information. I will probabaly not join this Rumble in the East Asian Sky campaign cause of very little time at the moment (will move in march). Ik could of course also run for the Between The War air campaign, but already made an entry for that.

Since I am from Holland Gunze or Testor's colors are pretty hard to obtain over here. Tamiya is no problem luckily, but Humbrol is the paintbrand I use most.

@ Andrew: of course I don not forget the Gladiator. Thats's one of those I got already build. It's Roden's Sea Gladiator version. My first attempt 3 years ago on this brand. Nice, typical Roden, kit! takes some effort, but final result is very nice. I still got one of those Impact kits lying around, who knows I even would like to doe this one.

Greetings, Nico

Kitboy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Gelderland, Netherlands
Posted: Wednesday, January 16, 2008 - 09:20 AM UTC
Hello,

I decided to do a mixture. of 3 Humbrol paints. White (34) Sky (90) and light grey (64). Well this is the result so far:

/

This kit has been an absolute delight to built so far. It all fits like a glove. Hardly andy sanding or Putty needed. For anyone wanting to do theis first steps on a biplane it's an absolute recommendation.

Greetings, Nico
 _GOTOTOP