_GOTOBOTTOM
Cold War (1950-1974)
Discuss the aircraft modeling subjects during the Cold War period.
Hosted by Tim Hatton
1/144 Electra L-188
Red4
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 4,287 posts
AeroScale: 1,164 posts
Posted: Friday, January 04, 2008 - 05:54 AM UTC
Just put the wraps on this one this morning. Minicraft offering built OOB. I used Humbrol gloss white for the top color, and Tamiya's TS#30 Silver Leaf for the silver portions. IMHO it looks better than the Gloss Aluminum called for in the instructions. The kit decals were great with the exception of the ones around the nose area. Took some liberal applications of Micro Sol to get them to conform. I cut the ones that run the entire length of the fuselage into three pieces for easier handling. Thanks for looking. Comments welcome. "Q"

Littorio
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,728 posts
AeroScale: 1,351 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 10, 2008 - 12:57 PM UTC
Looks great Matthew, what was this kit like to put together?

Ciao
Luciano
Siderius
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 1,747 posts
AeroScale: 1,673 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 10, 2008 - 01:27 PM UTC
Great build. I like to see some civil stuff on here. I used to build a lot more civil aircraft years back, hope to start adding some interesting civil subjects to my collection. Again, great job. Russell
Red4
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 4,287 posts
AeroScale: 1,164 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 06, 2008 - 06:00 AM UTC
Sorry for the long delay in replying guys. Figured nobody gave a rats a** about it. The kit was fairly straight forward to build. No major fit issues. The wing to fuselgae joint was great. No putty needed there. I filled, sanded, primed, filled again, resanded, primed some more until I was happy with how it looked. It actually went together really quick. Decals were tricky around the nose, but I was expecting that with the complex curves and shapes. I'm plannig on building more civil subjects in the future too. The colorful schemes are just too cool to pass up. Thanks again for the kudos. "Q"
Siderius
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 1,747 posts
AeroScale: 1,673 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 06, 2008 - 09:13 AM UTC
Hey there. Keep up the good work. Like those civil subjects. Although I concentrate heavily on WW2 aircraft; I like the occasional high performance jet, a helicopter and even some civil stuff.
I am currently working on the Glencoe 1/96 scale Vicker Viscount, the worlds first turboprop powered aircraft to enter service. Also have a Hasegawa, 1/72 scale F-4E I just started, thinking of something else to add to my workbench, not sure what.
Again, great looking Electra.
P.S. Isn't funny how some of the aircraft of that time, like the Viscount or Electra didn't have painted prop tips! Strange. Take care. Russell
 _GOTOTOP