_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
P38 wheel wells, how does it all fit??
markvs
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 70 posts
AeroScale: 16 posts
Posted: Friday, January 04, 2008 - 08:14 PM UTC
I am currently working on an Academy multi type lightning, and the instructions are none too clear.
What I need to know is just which way round do the supercharger supply pipes fit. If I put them in as near as I can to instructions, then there is no way the wheel could ever be retracted, and they cant be collapsible tube can they??
Any help appreciated, I have done a quick google, but with no result.
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 05, 2008 - 05:31 AM UTC
Hi Mark,
I've done a test fit with my kit and yep the pipes get in the way. I can't check my Hasegawa model as it's packed away but I do know that the pipes in the Academy kit are somewherenear the correct configuration and, if it wasn't for the side wall they might just allow the undercarriage to retract.
My fix for this will be to use solder, of a suitable diameter, and route it properly. An easier solution would be to leave it out, which, unless you worry about this sort of thing, wouldn't be missed unless the model is turned over. The pipes as moulded are pretty much garbage anyway, so put 'em in the garbage and forget it or rectify with solder or wire (wire that thick might be a tad difficult to bend).
If I can dig out my Hasegawa P-38 I'll get a pic of the pipe in that. Sorry not to be the bearer of good news.
Just in case I did make sure that I was useing the correct parts and, although I didn't physically try it the correct pipe does go sorta where it should.

In what scheme are you building this? I'll be interested on how the rest of the build goes, as now I've "started" mine I'd like to continue (seriously, and I have recently started four models )

Mal
markvs
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Auckland, New Zealand
Posted: Saturday, January 05, 2008 - 03:50 PM UTC
Thanks Mal,
I tried swapping the tube from one side to the other and also, end for end, but nothing really looks right does it?
If the thing is the right shape, then it should, more or less fit.
I did once see a good photo of the layout on the net, but, like most things, I have lost it.
As far as scheme goes, I havent really made up my mind, even as far as natural metal, or olive drab, I may try looking for a eto scheme, as pacific colours are not my thing.
CRS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,936 posts
AeroScale: 1,168 posts
Posted: Monday, January 07, 2008 - 09:54 AM UTC
Not a great photo but it does show things are tight in there ( this is Glacier Girl's port side main gear well)

This is the nose gear bay (viewed from the rear)

Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 08, 2008 - 10:47 AM UTC
The pipes are basically the right shape but are not accurate, nor refined enough. I think I have some pics somewhere that show the whole thing, but I've not been able to find them. You could try looking in the gallery?

I ask about colours because I am looking at doing a set of markings for a P-38 in my "Miracle Masks"

I will try and dig out my Hasegwa(?) P-38, and take a pic of the pipes in it's wheel wells

Mal
markvs
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Auckland, New Zealand
Posted: Saturday, January 19, 2008 - 06:24 PM UTC
Been away for a little, sorry, my real comp died... may it be resurrected soonest.
Anyway, as far as colour, my ideal would either be desert a/f or euro with invasion stripes.
Next problem, to find an example of either... he hinted to all very subtlely.
Any way, big thanks to all so far, and lets hope this steam powered comp don't up and die on m
 _GOTOTOP