_GOTOBOTTOM
Modern (1975-today)
Discuss the modern aircraft age from 1975 thru today.
A6A Testors Letdown
slodder
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
AeroScale: 305 posts
Posted: Monday, January 14, 2008 - 01:22 PM UTC
Oh man - have you ever opened a kit and had it just let you down so far? Man - I have a soft spot for the A6 and was looking forward to doing a nice build.... However, as I opened the Testors A6A I was sadly let down way down, basement down. Instructions stink, detail stinks.
This in an instant became a 4foot hanger. Only look at it from 4 feet away (or more) and hang it - don't waste presious display case space for it.

This isn't so much a rant on Testors. This kit was an ebay buy and one of a really old kit. It's more just a 'have you ever felt....' moment in our hobby.
mother
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 3,836 posts
AeroScale: 1,036 posts
Posted: Monday, January 14, 2008 - 04:10 PM UTC
I hear ya there Scott. This kit (Intruder) is one of the weakest in 1/48th...well sort of. See it's pretty much 70's Fujimi kit in a Testors box, and it's closer to 1/50th scale. Though with some work and dedication you can turn it into a good “A” Intruder. My only suggestion it to get the Revell or Monogram kits, they two have their flaws but with work and some aftermarket it will look great. There are many aftermarket set of for it and many decals sheets. I’ve just seen a company looking for ideas for new sheets.

The Intruder and Prowler are my favorite 2 jets, top 1-2, and have built many over the years in many scales. As a matter of fact I started Tamiyas 1/100th Intruder two months ago. I plan on cutting the wings in half and scratching the wing fold mechanism and detailing the cockpit. If your really looking to build this and need some help, I'd be gladly to help, I could put together some helpful tips and techs.

Here is one I've been waiting for over an year, Trumpeters 1/32nd scale. Man it's going to be big....

1/32 Intruder

Joe
slodder
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
AeroScale: 305 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 15, 2008 - 01:59 AM UTC
Joe - I agree on the scale call - it's not 1/48th. It was an ebay score and I honestly don't have the energy or desire to bring 'this' kit to a good 'A'. It'll have to be happy being an excuse to hold an Xacto and spread glue.

I'm now looking out for Revell/Monogram kits

Thanks for comizerating with me on a sad kit.
AJLaFleche
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 8,074 posts
AeroScale: 328 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 15, 2008 - 03:11 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The Intruder and Prowler are my favorite 2 jets, top 1-2,

Joe

I, too, have a soft spot for the A6 family. Many years ago, I worked at a company that did sub-contract work for Grumman. We assembled the wiring harness for these birds. My job was to walk down the length of the various harnesses and spot tie them with a waxed ribbon every 7 or 8 inches. I developed some pretty nasty callouses from that! I also worked with the guy who poured epoxy into the connectors.
Grumpyoldman
Staff Member_ADVISOR
KITMAKER NETWORK
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
AeroScale: 836 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 15, 2008 - 07:42 AM UTC
One of my favorite bug suckers also. Bumped the old noggin on quite a few in the hanger deck late at night.
jhoog59
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 189 posts
AeroScale: 129 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 31, 2008 - 06:39 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Joe - I agree on the scale call - it's not 1/48th. It was an ebay score and I honestly don't have the energy or desire to bring 'this' kit to a good 'A'. It'll have to be happy being an excuse to hold an Xacto and spread glue.

I'm now looking out for Revell/Monogram kits

Thanks for comizerating with me on a sad kit.

You could always use it to try new painting methods.
 _GOTOTOP