_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft: Tips & Techniques
Discussions on specific A/C building techniques.
Newbie at aligning fuselage halves?
godfather
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Canada
KitMaker: 817 posts
AeroScale: 66 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 19, 2008 - 01:22 PM UTC
I have a problem when gluing fuselage halves together I usually find that when I align one area the other area tends tn be misaligned. is there technique to make sure, given the molding is good, that both the fuselage halves are completely aligned. Also what glue would you recommend I use?I am newbie at building planes BTW.
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 19, 2008 - 09:34 PM UTC
Hi godfather!

That's the way I do it...

I use clamps mainly on short run kits as they have no locators. But on better kits, a piece of masking tape is usually enough. I avoid rubber bands because sometimes I found they misaligne the fuselage halves.
I use Faller cement. It is a german brand mainly focused on railroad modelling.

Jean-Luc
Phantom2
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Östergötland, Sweden
KitMaker: 708 posts
AeroScale: 678 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 20, 2008 - 01:03 AM UTC
Hi!

As Jean-Luc, I use whatever i need to hold the fuselage together.

Clamp, pins, rubberbands and tape, all have their use on a model.

But before I start glueing I ALWAYS dryfit the fuselage sides to check out the alignment.

Small misfits can be forced together by the means above.
But I prefer not to as you will have a model with "built-in" tension and it´s never a good idea if you want to keep the model over the years.

If there´s any (major) misalignment I usually cut off the little guiding pins as they actually may be the culprits!

I use the glue needed, my most-used glue is Vollmer (also a Railroad-oriented company) "Spezial-cement", thin as water, applied by a little brush and gives a really good bond.
CA-glue as Loctite is good if you need to close small gaps, and for big (and I mean REALLY BIG) joints I use Humbrol Tube-Glue.

Cheers!

Stefan E
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,117 posts
AeroScale: 2,270 posts
Posted: Monday, January 21, 2008 - 10:29 AM UTC
Everybody has their favorite method. And one is just as good as another.

I like to use a good liquid cement. When the parts to be glued together are held together, I try to get a fine bead along the join. This bead, when dry fills in the join. Then just minor sanding.

As for you original question. I do much the same as the previous responses. Clamps, tape, etc.
 _GOTOTOP