Hosted by Rowan Baylis
1/72 Me-109 G-10
Cvrle
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Croatia Hrvatska
KitMaker: 104 posts
AeroScale: 20 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 20, 2008 - 01:23 AM UTC
I've got an inkling to build (or, more accurately put on the build pile) it.

Now the question has arisen - there's a Revell 1/72 kit, which has various adjectives associated with it, "inaccurate", "horrible" (and is for me readily available in a number of shops within walking distance), and then there's the Fine Molds superkit (which would entail putting together an online order).

So how true are these adjectives associated with the Revell kit? Is is so horribly disfigured? Or are the flaws small and visible only with a caliper?

Any info greatly appreciated!

Cheers!
leon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
KitMaker: 65 posts
AeroScale: 37 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 20, 2008 - 02:16 AM UTC
I Build the Revell Kit,

I didn't measure the Scale down, but the fit of eveything was pretty good. there was only one thing that i disliked about the kid the color Seagreen as mentioned in the instructions is a bit of to Bright i think. here some pictures of mine, its an obb build.

Greetings Léon
FalkeEins
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 868 posts
AeroScale: 690 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 20, 2008 - 02:38 AM UTC

good work Leon..I've a couple of these in my stash.....the kit is perfectly adequate for a small scale late-war 109...although it has various aspects of a number of different marques. I recall a review in MiS magazine which reckoned it was more K than G - when you've eyesight like mine they all look pretty much the same in this scale..
Emeritus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 2,845 posts
AeroScale: 1,564 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 20, 2008 - 02:52 AM UTC
Btw, is this Revell 109 on of their "newer" kits from the mid to late 90's, or some older kit reboxed?
leon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
KitMaker: 65 posts
AeroScale: 37 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 20, 2008 - 11:27 AM UTC
I am not so enthousiastic about it myself, it was the first time i used an Airbrush, wich is clearly visable. and i have also overdone the varnish a bit wich is also verry wel visable on the pics.

anyways good luck with your build.

Greetings Léon
CMOT70
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 629 posts
AeroScale: 539 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 20, 2008 - 01:52 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Btw, is this Revell 109 on of their "newer" kits from the mid to late 90's, or some older kit reboxed?

If the one being talked about is same as the one i have in the stash..kit No.04160 then it seems to be a mid 90's product. Well it has 1996 stamped on the inside of the wing anyway. I think it was also sold in the pro-modeller line.

I have Lyn Ritgers book and he details the innacuracies as follows: propeller wrong shape and the undercarriage too far outboard on the wings. So if that really matters to you then it's probably best to get a Fine Moulds kit. But I plan to build mine just like it is if i ever get the time. Maybe just replace the prop is all. Like you say these Revell kits are cheap and easy to get.

Andrew
JollyRoger
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Istanbul, Turkey / Türkçe
KitMaker: 1,241 posts
AeroScale: 616 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 07, 2008 - 05:09 PM UTC
I am working on one too. One thing I encountered, and I saw same thing on Leon's model too, is the canopy. It is a little narrow for the fuselage. Be carefull about it. Other than that it is a nice kit.
Emeritus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 2,845 posts
AeroScale: 1,564 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 07, 2008 - 05:33 PM UTC

Quoted Text

If the one being talked about is same as the one i have in the stash..kit No.04160 then it seems to be a mid 90's product. Well it has 1996 stamped on the inside of the wing anyway. I think it was also sold in the pro-modeller line.

Thanks for the info.
Yeah, some of Revell's 1:72 kits have their quirks, but they tend to build up well and look nice. But you need to know what your buying. Take their ww2 Finnish series as an example. Three kits with Finnish markings, Hurricane, Brewster and a Curtiss Hawk. The two latter are relics from '60's and '70 and I won't be throwing my money in such kits. Apart from being old with details from those days, the Hawk is okay, but the brewster is not only of a completely wrong type to be a Finnish plane, it's quite inaccurate as well.
The hurricane on the other hand is from the '90's and is up-to-date, but requires some work to be accurate. It claims to be a mk.II B, but actually it's a mk.I with a B-type wing (12 mg's), mk.II spinner and prop, later type wheels and markings for two mk.II Hurricanes. Decals and a few different parts don't change the variant, but I guess Revell reasoned that most kids don't care of such things...
 _GOTOTOP