_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Mitsubishi A6M3 Fighter (Hamp)
betheyn
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,560 posts
AeroScale: 2,225 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 20, 2008 - 04:39 AM UTC
After 3 months of starting kits then getting bored halfway through and starting another kit ( I did this several times ), I have finally managed to concentrate enough to finish a kit.
This is the Tamiya Mitsubishi A6M3 Fighter (Hamp), which goes together like a dream and is a pretty easy build.
Now as i get some sort of perverse pleasure in ripping paint off Japanese aircraft, I found a profile on Wings Palette that I really could go to town on.
Anyhoo enough rambling, here are some pics, and the profile I found. The aircraft is for chief petty-officer Takeo Okumura, September 1943, Rabaul.

Andy
buggalugs
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Australian Capital Territory, Australia
KitMaker: 135 posts
AeroScale: 115 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 20, 2008 - 08:26 AM UTC
Andy,

looks awesome, especially the ripped paint. What is your technique? It's something that I would like to do at some stage, but am worried about the potential for wrecking the overall paint job if not done properly!

I have recently finished an A6M3 myself (Hasegawa 1/48), but in a completely different scheme - as a captured machine that was restored by USAAF and RAAF personnel in Brisbane in early 1943...Nothing like a Zero in a factory-fresh scheme with US stars all over it!

regards Brad
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 20, 2008 - 09:20 AM UTC
Hi Nigel!

Very nice little scene! The paint chipping looks great!

How did you do the netting on the tail?

I think the aircraft looks a bit lonely though. What about a small accompaniment...

This is Tamiya latest 1/48 scale vehicle, a japanese Kurogane. A very small and cute looking car isn't it? More pictures can be seen here. It would look geat on your diorama...

Jean-Luc
betheyn
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, January 20, 2008 - 10:31 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Andy,

looks awesome, especially the ripped paint. What is your technique? It's something that I would like to do at some stage, but am worried about the potential for wrecking the overall paint job if not done properly!

Hi Brad,
The way i strip the paint off is pretty easy. First I primer it, then comes a coat of Alclad Aluminum. Once the Alclad has dried I use either white glue or liquid mask and cover the parts i want to strip off. After about 24 hours I spray on the main coat of paint. Future the plane, add decals, re Future then rub off the masked bits and that's about it. Depending on what finish I want the bare metal to have I'll either Matt coat it before or after I have rubbed off the mask.

Quoted Text

I have recently finished an A6M3 myself (Hasegawa 1/48), but in a completely different scheme - as a captured machine that was restored by USAAF and RAAF personnel in Brisbane in early 1943...Nothing like a Zero in a factory-fresh scheme with US stars all over it!

regards Brad

I always fancied painting a New Zealand captured Zero that was sprayed in the white surrender markings.
Andy
betheyn
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, January 20, 2008 - 10:40 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Nigel!

I think the aircraft looks a bit lonely though. What about a small accompaniment...

This is Tamiya latest 1/48 scale vehicle, a japanese Kurogane. A very small and cute looking car isn't it? More pictures can be seen here. It would look geat on your diorama...

Jean-Luc

Hi Jean-Luc, who's Nigel then .
The netting on the tail is a hair net i "borrowed" off the Beloved .
I have seen the cute little Jap car before, but I think its in a set of 5 or 6 Japanese planes, similar to the Zero collection they did a couple of years ago.
Still might be worth a look .
Andy
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 6,249 posts
AeroScale: 3,270 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 20, 2008 - 10:46 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Nigel!

Jean-Luc

It wasnt me,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
I didnt build it,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
You cant prove a thing,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Nige
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 20, 2008 - 11:13 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Jean-Luc, who's Nigel then

Hi all!

Damn, I think I worked too much in the basement. Too many paint and thinner fumes you know...

The Kurogane is sold separately as well...

Good night... Andy!

Jean-Luc
betheyn
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, January 20, 2008 - 11:26 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Hi Jean-Luc, who's Nigel then

Hi all!

Damn, I think I worked too much in the basement. Too many paint and thinner fumes you know...

The Kurogane is sold separately as well...

Good night... Andy!

Jean-Luc

Just found it and bought it .
Andy
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Monday, January 21, 2008 - 09:26 AM UTC
Yer not wrong that it's a bit battered
Do we get to see this at MK? Nicely done Nige....................errrrrr Andy.

Mal
 _GOTOTOP