_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
MPC / Airfix kits similarities
UncleBuncle
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 4 posts
AeroScale: 3 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 20, 2008 - 01:43 PM UTC
Topic is an F-111 MPC kit
1) Is the MPC identical to the original issue of Airfix ?
2) Did the MPC have the company name of "MPC" or the like stamped somewhere on the inside fuselage or wing? Mine has ("Airfix 1978 ")
3) I seem to remember the instructions NOT being the original Airfix instructions . Am I correct ?
4) The decals were a definite improvement over the Airfix decals . Did any of the MPC kits ever have the same Airfix decals offered as MPC decals?
Thank You for any replies,
Ted
[email protected]
CRS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,936 posts
AeroScale: 1,168 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 20, 2008 - 04:03 PM UTC
I assume you are referring to this F-111 Kit

I have several of the MPC Profile Series Kits still in my stash including the C 47 (a WIP), B 25 F-111 of course (a WIP). All have Airfix markings and as I recall MPC (General Mills) only re marketed the Airfix kits in their our packaging.

I don't know about the Decals as they are marked MPC General Mills, don't know if they are different or the same as Airfix furnished Decals.

As for the instructions they appear to be reprints of the Airfix sheets but with MPC markings. At least they don't look too different from some of the old Airfix instruction sheets I have laying around.
UncleBuncle
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 4 posts
AeroScale: 3 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 20, 2008 - 04:21 PM UTC
Hi Chuck : Many Thanks for your reply. I can remember dozens of new MPC kits on the store shelves and a fair number in my own stash , much of which was sold off in years gone by . Although the MPC was , in effect , an Airfix in a new box , I seem to remember the decals being not only of better quality but a more colorful choice as well . In any event , your information lets me know that an MPC kit will look like an old Airfix.
 _GOTOTOP