_GOTOBOTTOM
Pre-Flight Check
Constructive critique of your finished or in-progress photos.
Tamiya Beaufighter
_H_Dori
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 295 posts
AeroScale: 276 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 26, 2008 - 12:02 AM UTC
Well I finished this late last year but have only recently got around to taking proper pictures of it. I Must say it was easily the best kit I've ever built and really did just fall together. I built it straight oob with Eduard pre painted seatbelts. It was painted using White Ensign colourcoats although the pictures make some of the fading look a bit white.

I'm still learning the maskol/chipping technique and I also feel that the copper engines look too bright even though I did run a black wash over it.

For my fourth ever model I was pretty chuffed and I even bought a nightfighter version I enjoyed it so much. I hope you guys like it and constructive criticsim is welcomed as it helps me to improve.

Thanks for looking

H

CMOT70
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 629 posts
AeroScale: 539 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 26, 2008 - 01:35 AM UTC
Really nice model! To me the way you have done the panel lines and shading is quite effective, so too the job you did on the exhaust staining. Nice sharp frames to the clear parts as well.

The only thing i'd say is the same thing you mentioned yourself, the exhuasts and exhaust collector rings could well be a bit bright- they sort of draw the eye, they would start off looking nice like that no doubt- but after getting extremely hot and cooling down a few times would maybe look a bit burnt. The way i often do such things is to flat them down with clear flat, then (after drying well) use burnt sienna pastel dust and rub it in. Then you can even rub some off to create highlights.

And yes i agree with your views on the Tamiya kit- i haven't buit it, but it looks like a typical Tamiya product...i need get it out and do it someday.

Andrew

Andrew
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 26, 2008 - 03:03 AM UTC
Hi Howard!

Wonderful looking model! I like the paintjob and the fading looks great. Congratulations!

Maybe some pastels would tome down the black tyres. I only say that because you've asked for constructive criticism and I didn't found something else...

Jean-Luc
Phantom2
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Östergötland, Sweden
KitMaker: 708 posts
AeroScale: 678 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 26, 2008 - 03:42 AM UTC
Hi Howard!

That´s one of the best Beaus I´ve seen, period!

And It´s the same version I did a couple of years back, when I returned to modelling aircrafts again.
Mine was painted by brush (had no airbrush back then, and I was totally unaware of the wonderful modelling community on the net!), so It´s in no way near your result!

But I liked the kit so much that I got the other two boxings (Nightfighter and MkX).

Only "critisism" I can give is the somewhat too bright copper colour on the engines collector rings.
Those were made in Aluminium and heated to a cherry-red glow during flight If the engines were strained.
Not so good for a night fighter!
This made the rings to get a burned metal color, In some cases to an almost blue-black metallic color.
I usually go for the AlcladII Burnt Metal as I believe this comes pretty close to pics I have seen.
If needed you can tone down the BM with some "Jet Exhaust" (works as Tamiya smoke).

If you mix black and a dark blue-grey (about 50/50), You´ll get a nice color for your tires!

This is really nit-picking I know, but you asked for It, eh!

Nice Build!

Cheers!

Stefan E
Murdo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,218 posts
AeroScale: 211 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 26, 2008 - 09:03 AM UTC
Lovely job Howard. Very, very nice paint job.
_H_Dori
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, January 27, 2008 - 11:53 PM UTC
Thank you all so much for looking and commenting I really appreciate it.

I will certainly try the Alclad route on the exhaust collectors on my next one as it's definately an area I wasn't 100% happy with.

I see what you all mean on the tyres they do look a touch shiny. I bush painted them with Xtracolor tyre black and they do look a touch "new" It's certainly an area I will try harder at. I've recently just tried a dry brush of RLM66 around the centre. I shall see how it comes out.

Once again thank you all for your replies and information.

H
Grifter
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 608 posts
AeroScale: 55 posts
Posted: Monday, January 28, 2008 - 09:48 AM UTC
The scoops on top of the engines are showing some pretty prominent seams.
Otherwise,
BEAUTIFUL !!!
The shading variations you achieved in the camo colors are just stunning!
vanize
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,954 posts
AeroScale: 1,163 posts
Posted: Monday, January 28, 2008 - 06:38 PM UTC
Those "prominent seams" are actually bona fide panel lines.

I think it looks awesome.

Two (easy) things to fix:

1. You need to grungy up the burnt metal color around the cowling some, as it looks kind of odd for the aircraft to be weathered but the exhaust collection and dampening system to be pristine. That has been pointed out, but it really should be easy to grunge this up some still.

2. a black wash into the various air intakes would give them some depth and realism.

Other than that, two thumbs up.
_H_Dori
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, January 28, 2008 - 10:13 PM UTC
Thanks guys & as Vance says the intakes on the engine are supposed to be like that but they do look VERY noticeable I agree.

I did run an oil wash over the exhausts and collector rings but it didn't tone it down as much as I'd like. I may run a bit more.

H
Grifter
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 608 posts
AeroScale: 55 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 29, 2008 - 12:07 AM UTC
Sorry, my mistake!
I must admit I'm not very familiar with that aircraft.
_H_Dori
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, January 29, 2008 - 12:32 AM UTC
No need to apologise mate, I still thank you for your input.

H

Edit: Wish I'd put it in for Decembers MOM comp now Next time eh?
 _GOTOTOP