_GOTOBOTTOM
Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
Another campaign idea.....
Percheron
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 432 posts
AeroScale: 360 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 27, 2008 - 03:44 PM UTC
Hi all,

Not sure if this idea has been brought up before, but how about a campaign of common WWII aircraft in rare or uncommon markings.

Such as:

Romanian Stuka, Hungarian Bf-109, Turkish P-40, etc. I got the idea as I'm working on my Romanian Hurricane, and looking at this site: http://wp.scn.ru/en/ww2/f/298/135/0

The only rules would be the plane had to be flown during WWII, but not necessarily in combat, and captured aircraft would not count. Civilian markings would be cool too!

What do you all think?

-Derek
vanize
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,954 posts
AeroScale: 1,163 posts
Posted: Monday, January 28, 2008 - 12:15 PM UTC
I'd definitely be in for a campaign like that.

The concept needs to be a little better defined though.

I am assuming that you don't mean any foreign markings are fair (like soviet P-39s, since they had so many of them), but rather more limited editions (like soviet P-51s?).

what about captured planes like a German P-47? I'm guessing yes on that one.

But what about SAAF Hurricanes? or RAAF A-20s? Not so exotic markings, but still interesting to some people.

What about WWII aircraft in cool markings immediately post-war, like Belgian spitfires? Or not so immediately post war, such as South American P-51s or Israeli Mosquitoes?

And then there are local conversions, like dropping a Damlier Benz engine into a spitfire? (which is what I'd probably do for the campaign if allowed to).

Does it have to be realistic/historical markings. Are "what-ifs" allowed (You know, like all those English Yak 9s?)

I'm not trying to push for anything here - just asking what the boundaries are? Are we going for non-domestic, atypical, exotic, improbable yet true, or just whatever?

I personally would like to see it be a bit challenging and be true markings that are exotic - something that requires a little research at least.
ejclide
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 150 posts
AeroScale: 119 posts
Posted: Monday, January 28, 2008 - 01:11 PM UTC
I'd be in for something like that, except I'm a little confused too. Would siimply including planes in markings other than those of it's country of origin work? like an israeli Delta Dart or something like that? just a thought! let me know what you think. and when are you thinking of this time wise?
29Foxtrot
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 708 posts
AeroScale: 674 posts
Posted: Monday, January 28, 2008 - 01:20 PM UTC
I'd enlist in this GB if iteventuated into a build up, as their are several aircraft types used in this period.
Percheron
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, January 28, 2008 - 01:39 PM UTC
Hi all,

Thanks for filtering down some of the ideas. To be honest the idea is still in the rough. I was just thinking how good it would be see planes not in the usual national markings. So for instance a Spit in any U.K. Commonwealth nation markings other than England. Any P-51 other than U.S. markings, any Bf 109 in other than German and so on. This would exclude captured aircraft and "what if's". Certainly the Soviets received many aircraft and they would be applicable, but maybe a P-40 with the Klimov (sp?) engine conversion. Something that is real and flew but not necessarily on the box art. I was thinking of keeping it in the WWII era, but it COULD be extended to say, 1953 which would open it to many post war conflicts.

Again, this is just a suggestion and look forward to more comments and ideas

-Derek
vanize
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Monday, January 28, 2008 - 06:25 PM UTC
So basically you are thinking something along the lines of a "For Export" theme.

Cool, I'd definitely participate. I could could easily pull out a (soviet) P-39, (soviet or french) A-20, (english) Mustang I, or (australian) Beaufighter from the my stash for this.
Percheron
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, January 29, 2008 - 04:09 AM UTC
Yeah, a "For Export" type theme. Any aircraft from 1938 to 1953 wearing markings or mods (engine, weapons, etc.) in any nation other than country of origin. This would include nations that may have been neutral during WWII but had a type aircraft that were being used in combat. But excluding captured aircraft.

As far as timing, I think the campaign list is kinda filled up, but I think it would depend on the kind of enthusiasm this idea generated.

-Derek

vanize
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, January 29, 2008 - 04:47 AM UTC
well, we should at least make it a group build if nothing else.

There are lots of campaigns starting in the June/July time frame, but after that is completely open except for the sea plane one in... uhm, November 2009!

Shoot for a September 1 start, which is of course the official start of WWII (also my birthday) - seems appropriate enough.

One other nit-picky question. If captured aircraft are not allowed, what about ones that were more along the lines of appropriated and/or interred, like Portuguese P-38s or Swiss Mustangs (someone is going to ask, so i might as well)?

Percheron
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, January 29, 2008 - 06:23 AM UTC
Vance,

I think interned/ appropriated aircraft would be fine. I just wanted to eliminate the "German P-47" or "U.S. Zero" type of thing.
A start date around September would be good too, this would certainly allow builders enough time to do a bit of research. I agree, if nothing else a group build would be great. I have a Hungarian Bf-109 that is waiting....

-Derek
vanize
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Thursday, January 31, 2008 - 09:19 AM UTC
here is a cool link for decals (predominantly for Yugoslav machines) that would totally go with this campaign:

lift here decals
jphillips
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,066 posts
AeroScale: 214 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 31, 2008 - 10:28 AM UTC
That's a cool P-38. I have some leftover decals for an interesting Dominican P-51shark mouth, which I plan on building some time in the future. Apparently, the Dominicans had quite a large air force at one time. They even had some B-17s! How unfortunate, that their air force has been so badly New Zealandized since then.
Maybe someone will build that Dominican B-17 and enter it in the contest. I'm afraid that printing those decals is far beyond my modest skills.
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 31, 2008 - 07:22 PM UTC
Hi Derek!

This is a great Campaign idea and I would love to participate. I have many aircraft models in exotic markings in my stash I can use for this Group Build. I would be very restrictive and wouldn't allow aircraft with markings from the main belligerants though: U.S., Great Britain, Russia, France for the Allied and Germany, Italy and Japan for the Axis countries.

Official or inofficial Group Build is not important for me, I'm in in any case!

Jean-Luc
JollyRoger
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Istanbul, Turkey / Türkçe
KitMaker: 1,241 posts
AeroScale: 616 posts
Posted: Friday, February 01, 2008 - 12:23 AM UTC
Turkish P-40!!! Hell yeah!!!! Count me in too. Ok I probably won't do a P-40 but anything Turkish is probable. TuAF Fw-190, Spitfire, Hurricane, P-47(which I am planing to build soon),even He111. I must make clear about some craft. For example would B-24 be concidered as "captured"? They simply landed in Turkey lost or demaged and taken in TuAF nearly as soon as they come. Do they count "captured"? Seems slightly friendlier than being captured to be but they are not bought or lent or leased anyways. Hmm How about a Japanese I-16 ? I don't know if they bought or captured them.
vanize
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Friday, February 01, 2008 - 02:59 AM UTC

Quoted Text

. I would be very restrictive and wouldn't allow aircraft with markings from the main belligerants though: U.S., Great Britain, Russia, France for the Allied and Germany, Italy and Japan for the Axis countries.

Oh yes! excellent idea!

or maybe even aircraft from one of those countries but not in any of those countries markings?

I can feel a Brazillian P-47 coming on...

(i actually kinda think aircraft in commonwealth markings, from any era, would be a good idea for a separate campaign, if it hasn't been done yet)
Percheron
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, February 01, 2008 - 04:27 AM UTC
Hi all,

This is great, I'm glad there is interest brewing for this subject! The question would be whether to submit it for an actual campaign or for a group build. Since I have never managed a campaign before a group build would be more my speed at this point, but if more people want to join in..... I've thought more about the era and I think 1938-1953 would certainly allow for many post war "hand me downs".

Quoted Text

I would be very restrictive and wouldn't allow aircraft with markings from the main belligerants though: U.S., Great Britain, Russia, France for the Allied and Germany, Italy and Japan for the Axis countries

Jean-Luc, I'm tending to agree with you on this, but I would like to give people the option to build an Italian Bf-109 or Japanese Fw 190, (of which only one was flown for evaluation purposes, but a 190 DID fly with Japanese markings). Mainly since finding decals might be a challenge, but most people have enough spare decals to participate. So here is where I'm at with the rules for now:

1) Any aircraft flown from 1938-1953.
2) Cannot carry markings from the country of origin.
3) Cannot be a captured aircraft, i.e. German P-47 or U.S. Zero.
4) Interned or neutral country markings are o.k., such as a Portugese P-38 or any Swiss aircraft, but no "what-if" markings
5) If you can, supply a picture or illustration of the aircraft and country markings, it doesn't have to be the exact aircraft, but to show that nation did fly the type.
And lastly, have fun doing the research. I think in keeping with the spirit of the proposal would be to cause others to say "I didn't know they flew those!"

Let me know what you guys think about the above rules.

-Derek
Percheron
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, February 01, 2008 - 04:36 AM UTC

Quoted Text

For example would B-24 be concidered as "captured"? They simply landed in Turkey lost or demaged and taken in TuAF nearly as soon as they come. Do they count "captured"? Seems slightly friendlier than being captured to be but they are not bought or lent or leased anyways.

I think the term "Liberated Aircraft" would apply to the above example and would be keeping in the spirit of things.

Do you all agree with that?
vanize
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Friday, February 01, 2008 - 05:54 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi all,

This is great, I'm glad there is interest brewing for this subject! The question would be whether to submit it for an actual campaign or for a group build. Since I have never managed a campaign before a group build would be more my speed at this point, but if more people want to join in..... I've thought more about the era and I think 1938-1953 would certainly allow for many post war "hand me downs".

Quoted Text

I would be very restrictive and wouldn't allow aircraft with markings from the main belligerants though: U.S., Great Britain, Russia, France for the Allied and Germany, Italy and Japan for the Axis countries

Jean-Luc, I'm tending to agree with you on this, but I would like to give people the option to build an Italian Bf-109 or Japanese Fw 190, (of which only one was flown for evaluation purposes, but a 190 DID fly with Japanese markings). Mainly since finding decals might be a challenge, but most people have enough spare decals to participate. So here is where I'm at with the rules for now:

1) Any aircraft flown from 1938-1953.
2) Cannot carry markings from the country of origin.
3) Cannot be a captured aircraft, i.e. German P-47 or U.S. Zero.
4) Interned or neutral country markings are o.k., such as a Portugese P-38 or any Swiss aircraft, but no "what-if" markings
5) If you can, supply a picture or illustration of the aircraft and country markings, it doesn't have to be the exact aircraft, but to show that nation did fly the type.
And lastly, have fun doing the research. I think in keeping with the spirit of the proposal would be to cause others to say "I didn't know they flew those!"

Let me know what you guys think about the above rules.

-Derek

submit it! submit it!

I'll register straight off.

I like the rules list, though you might mention these two things:

1. non-major belligerent country markings are encouraged.

2. aircraft was produced for WWII

I haven't managed a campaign either, but if you can't find a more experienced second in command, I'll be happy to take the job for the experience.
Percheron
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, February 01, 2008 - 07:29 AM UTC

Quoted Text

submit it! submit it!e

I just PM'd Jean-Luc for advice and details in submitting a campaign.

Quoted Text

I like the rules list, though you might mention these two things:

1. non-major belligerent country markings are encouraged.

2. aircraft was produced for WWII

I agree Vance and will add these when we get to the point of solidyfing the campaign/group build.

Quoted Text

haven't managed a campaign either, but if you can't find a more experienced second in command, I'll be happy to take the job for the experience.

Sweet! Once I hear back from Jean-Luc I will PM you and we can brainstorm this idea into action.

-Derek
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,117 posts
AeroScale: 2,270 posts
Posted: Friday, February 01, 2008 - 09:48 AM UTC
I would be interested if it was not limited to WWII. There are so many cool Migs, Mirages, and Phantoms, etc that are begging to be allowed into such a fine campaign.

I am sure I could come up with somthing as it stands now though.
vanize
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Friday, February 01, 2008 - 10:14 AM UTC
I was just thinking that this campaign ribbon is not going to be easy to devise...
 _GOTOTOP