_GOTOBOTTOM
Modern (1975-today)
Discuss the modern aircraft age from 1975 thru today.
Otter with Pointy Nose
2-2dragoon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 608 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Friday, April 18, 2003 - 04:34 PM UTC
I want to build a Turbine Otter (DHC-3).... I live in Ketchikan Alaska and used to work for companies that had these. No, I am not a pilot, but an interested person.

Other than scratch-building the pointy nose and prop, does anyone know if there is a conversion for the 1/48th Hobbycraft kit... or if there is a plane that would have a nose that would work as a conversion. I am willing to do some scratch-building.

Even just a prop would work...

Thanks.
Bren
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Cape Province, South Africa
KitMaker: 381 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Friday, April 18, 2003 - 07:26 PM UTC
Sorry, Don't know squat on civil aircraft.
ukgeoff
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,007 posts
AeroScale: 101 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 19, 2003 - 12:29 AM UTC
The nose looks to be similar to the Swiss built Pilatus PC-6 "Turbo Porter". Unfortunately, the only kits I have found are to 1/72, made by High Planes from Australia, and Classic Plane from Germany.
slodder
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
AeroScale: 305 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 19, 2003 - 01:55 AM UTC
Honestly, if you're willing to scratch build, that's what I'd go for. The nose looks uniform and straight forward enough. Looks like you have a good bit of reference too.

I'd start with a piece of bass wood, carve it to a basic shape and 'boil' sheet styrene around it. Put sheet styrene in boiling water to heat it and soften it then warp it around the mold. Then add extra detail on.

If you go that route ask questions - there are lots of scratch builders here and I"m sure you would get all the help you need.
 _GOTOTOP